• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hunting loads for a 32 cal long gun.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right. A .32 has more frontal area to "smack" a squirrel head and I can see how it would cause more damage. But most of us don't eat heads; at least I don't. But with body shots I can only report what occurred which was minimal damage - stay away from those heavy shoulder bones :grin: .

As for loads, one can go too light as well. If all one wants to do is knock the wind out of the little scoundrel, then tiny loads are fine. I used 30 grains (sometimes 20) and killed them DRT and nothing edible was destroyed. :v

"If all one wants to do is knock the wind out of the little scoundrel..."

Which is the point of my question. As 25 yds would be a typical longer shot I wondered at what a minimal charge might be. It can't take much for such a small critter, but seeing a few grains only tossed my .490" ball 5 yds in front of me...

I doubt anyone can answer your question completely. If you have access to a chronograph (if one shoots at all, he NEEDS one) finding the best velocity is easy. IMHO somewhere around the velocity of a .22LR or at least a .22short makes the most sense. I shoot 20grns in both my .32 and .36 and this load will reach out well beyond 25 yards to hit a squirrel head. You might forget about velocity entirely and simply staying in the 20grn (+ or -) range find your most accurate load; THAT is really all that's important.

I hadn't been too concerned until I saw the posts with pics of damage done by the lowly .32. It made me consider the velocity a bit. But I'm a bit of a miser, and would like to use the least amount of powder as possible all depending of course.

Accuracy is the biggest concern overall though. But if I'm pretty certain shots would be within 25 yds and at very small critters I'd probably be a little frugal.

I have used an original Perry E. Hall target rifle with a load of 7grns. of Swiss fffG for target shooting and it moves a .290 ball right along nicely! I do not know what the velocity is nor did I ever complete a "penetration" test with it...This may or may not be acceptable for your small game hunting needs :idunno: ...but it certainly is a very light charge of powder and very economical to shoot!!

Latest posts

Back