• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hunting method

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipper c

32 Cal.
Reaction score
What type of deer hunting method do you enjoy the most with your muzzleloader ie. posting, still hunting, tree stand hunting, personally I like to mix it up with my favorite being still hunting. thanks! :wink: and enjoy the hunt! :)

I hunt from a tree stand always, its just way to much trouble to road hunt while driving the truck with a 46 inch barrel stuck out the window :rotf:ha ha just kidding

I still hunt exclusively, mostly because I'm just too darned impatient to sit on a stand for hours on end. :redface:

For mule deer and blacktails I do a mix of spot-and-stalk and still hunting.

Home ranges are so large and travel routes so irregular, you better make room for a sleeping bag and several days of food in a blind. :rotf:

I'm against tree stands....against spot and stalk or still hunting...I prefer to sit and ambush, works for me. :thumbsup:

I hunt from a treestand and I also spot and stalk. It just depends on my mood and what the deer are doing.

Swampy said:
I'm against tree stands....against spot and stalk or still hunting...I prefer to sit and ambush, works for me. :thumbsup:

you..are a sick boy swampy!...... :haha:

sit an ambush? how bout jus slowly rollin up behind'em?

myself...sit and wait...till i get a feeling....in my gut,,.........."they're over there!" :shocked2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Still hunting. I carry a strap-on tree seat (ground level) I use when I find an attractive spot. I'll sit until I get cold and then return to still hunting.

I also have a few "repeatable" spots I like to great the sun or watch the sunset with potential deer activity; and one ground blind I sit at longer-term for lack of anything better when it is too warm, too noisy or raining.

Usually I sit (and maybe nap like Vern :wink: ) until I get too cold. Then I might still hunt for a while. When I do still hunt it isn't for very far. Just to the next good place to sit. Maybe 50-100 yards. By then the blood is flowing and I ain't as cold anymore.
It's very rare for me to climb a tree any more. Usta do that a few years back. I like the ground much better for several reasons.

For me, it's about 50/50 still hunting and hunting from a treestand or blind. Last year, I got exactly half of my deer with each method if memory serves me correctly. Usually, stand hunting is a little more successful for me, as my hunting spots are kinda small. But I have to admit, I am always more proud of the ones that I am able to sneak up on. :wink:

I use to do a lot of still hunting when I was younger, but nowadays it's all from the trees. I won't hunt slow enough or sit long enough when I'm on the ground. I always think there's a little better spot just over the ridge. Too much trouble to climb down out of a tree and move..although I've done it more than a few times.

I've done most all forms of hunting in my lifetime, but the past 10-15 years I've been backed into stand hunting.
I'm lucky in that I have two small places on private land that I alone can hunt, consisting of thick woods, re-emerging clearcuts, brush choked ravines, etc. And more good news is they're surrounded by hundreds of acres of other landowner's woods so overall game in the area is good. The bad news is I don't have acreage to travel over / still hunt on...so my approach is limited to stand hunting.

My little woodlot has a 2-3 football field size section of hardwoods up on slightly higher ground with the clearcut, the ravines, and bedding thicket adjacent on all sides.
And of course the oak ridge is a huge draw during the November rut with bucks crusing for Does who have been feeding on acorns there starting in October, and that's where I have a deer stand.

A shooter either wanders through looking for Does when I'm there or he doesn't...and once the acorns are gone, the oak ridge is desolate...so I save a lot of vacation days, hunt the November rut hard, and that's pretty much my deer season...fortunately, that place usually produces a good deer or two while I'm there.

Latest posts

Back