• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hunting method

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to climb into any tree stand I could find on public hunting.
I fell out of a tree that I was in standing on a large branch when it decided that my weight was too much.
Another time I was climbing up into a tree stand my friend had been using when one of the steps broke off and if I didn't have hold of the braces on the stand I would have dropped about 20ft. The way it was when I went down one of the big nails the steps were nailed on tried to gut me like a fish. I had on heavy winter hunting clothes that got ripped and had a large bruise down my chest.
I did take a nice doe leaning back on a tree that was about 3” watching and waiting until she got close enough then dropped her in her tracks like she was hit with Thor’s hammer.
The closes shot I got was sitting in a friends chair while he went back to get a warmer jacket over looking a maize field. Bout the time he got back to the Jeep I dropped a nice doe from about 10ft in front of me. He wasn’t too happy with me for killing a deer out of his chair but that is the way it happens sometimes.
Now I take a chair and sit where I can look over a maize field or winter wheat or wherever it looks like a possible ambush spot.
My knees are in to bad a shape to climb anymore.

Spot and stalk works best for me. My second favorite method is to ambush game. I watch their movement and set up ahead of their direction of travel.

NWTF Longhunter said:
Fat old men should stay out of trees.. :nono: I use to be able to climb like a squirrel but now I climb like a Buffalo :shake:

I like to find a good ambush site and wait for em to come into range. My favorite method is slow stalking. Move from tree to tree, stop a bit, then move a bit. I've found if your huggin a tree a deer is less likely to spot you than when you're standing with nothing for you to blend in with. Windy days, rainy days, of when it's snowing I find are the best for stalking.

you and I hunt alike.
:hatsoff:

I resemble that remark,i,m 5ft 9 an 240,im in shape, round is a shape,anyway,i hunt from both treestands an spot an stalk,but our treestands are homemade, 2x4 an 2x6 boards on private land,our tester is my height but over 300lbs,we still get out a lot,but usually break for breakfast an supper early,my wife says thats why we are in such great shape,have fun an make lottsa smoke

Latest posts

Back