• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hunting or possibles bag--patterns?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJStricker

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'd like to try my hand at making a shooting bag. I've been looking around at a variety of sites to look at the variety of styles that are out there. I'm leaning toward an Eastern style bag, possibly with a beavertail type main flap.

Are there any resources that have patterns available? Or do those of you that make bags develop your own patterns?

Thanks!

NJS

Ditto. Wonderful book. Get the companion book on horns while you're at it. :thumbsup:

Not exactly what you're looking for, but there's a downloadable pattern for a fowler pouch here on the site. Can't tell you how many times I've modified it to make other bags, but it's a real handy starting point.

Yep, get one or both of those books, print out the fowler bag pattern, modify a pattern to suit ya, and poke a few fingers. Have fun. :hatsoff:

Addictive, huh? Perfect! I'm already addicted to making knives, so that will fit in just right! :haha:

Thanks for the information, fellers. I'll try printing off that pattern in the .pdf, and will try to pick up those books when I get some spare cash. That fowler bag is pretty close to what I'm wanting to try, so it shouldn't be too difficult to modify it a little.

NJS

practice/build one out of 10 oz canvas for a mock up. much cheaper than mis-cutting some nice leather!

I also ran across some #4 cotton duck (about 24 oz) nice stuff, makes a fairly stiff bag and I alsofound that leather was not the ONLY bag material out there back in the day.

I've worked with leather a little for my knife sheaths, so I'm not too worried there. Canvas is an interesting option though--that should make a nice light bag, and finding a variety of dyes should be pretty easy.

Where did you find your canvas?

NJStricker said:
Addictive, huh? Perfect! I'm already addicted to making knives, so that will fit in just right! :haha:

Thanks for the information, fellers. I'll try printing off that pattern in the .pdf, and will try to pick up those books when I get some spare cash. That fowler bag is pretty close to what I'm wanting to try, so it shouldn't be too difficult to modify it a little.

NJS

It's worth passing along the two modifications I usually make. The first, cutting out the back and flap a single unit really simplifies it and cuts down on the sewing. I also find the bag a little small for my needs, so I made up another pattern that's two inches wider and deeper. I also put together patterns for wafts for the two sizes so I could make them deeper front to back if I wanted.

On the canvas you're asking about, I got some nice light canvas from Walmart, though I haven't tried it yet. In my experience harder leathers are awfully darned noisy in the woods, and I'm a little spooked that the canvas would be worse.

If you want a cheap local leather source for practice, check out the thrift stores and yard sales for leather coats and such. I won't pay over $5 for one, and it's always good for a bag or two. Most garment leather is a little light for my taste, but when you glue (Barge Rubber Cement) pillow ticking on the back of the leather as a liner, it stiffens up just right.

I got some #4 at a pottery supply shop by luck!

I did find a wedsite vendor that I have a link for at home.
PT me if you would like that. #4 and #2 are like .064 and .092 thick! kind of like line's mans tool bag material.

it is a tad pricey but way cheaper than leather and kinda different!

BrownBear said:
It's worth passing along the two modifications I usually make. The first, cutting out the back and flap a single unit really simplifies it and cuts down on the sewing. I also find the bag a little small for my needs, so I made up another pattern that's two inches wider and deeper. I also put together patterns for wafts for the two sizes so I could make them deeper front to back if I wanted.

On the canvas you're asking about, I got some nice light canvas from Walmart, though I haven't tried it yet. In my experience harder leathers are awfully darned noisy in the woods, and I'm a little spooked that the canvas would be worse.

If you want a cheap local leather source for practice, check out the thrift stores and yard sales for leather coats and such. I won't pay over $5 for one, and it's always good for a bag or two. Most garment leather is a little light for my taste, but when you glue (Barge Rubber Cement) pillow ticking on the back of the leather as a liner, it stiffens up just right.

I recycle whenever I can, so the used leather coat idea works great for me!

I wondered about the 2-piece flap in the fowler plans. The only advantage I see is that you gain the decorative stitching, but if you use heavy enough leather a little line work would be a good substitute for that.

brett sr said:
I got some #4 at a pottery supply shop by luck!

I did find a wedsite vendor that I have a link for at home.
PT me if you would like that. #4 and #2 are like .064 and .092 thick! kind of like line's mans tool bag material.

it is a tad pricey but way cheaper than leather and kinda different!

Yeah, I just bought 13 sq. feet of 8-9 oz. leather for my knife sheaths. Ouch!

Harbor freight has some 5x7 canvas tarps for $15. They are 10 oz. fabric, but with some kind of waterproof treatment they come out closer to 18 oz. Wouldn't exactly be period correct, but would be good for practice and for general woodsbumming. I may try that before tearing into the leather.

NJStricker said:
I recycle whenever I can, so the used leather coat idea works great for me!

I wondered about the 2-piece flap in the fowler plans. The only advantage I see is that you gain the decorative stitching, but if you use heavy enough leather a little line work would be a good substitute for that.

You got it. I see in your next post that you're already buying leather for knife sheaths. I'd sure caution you not to get over about 6 oz in bag making unless you're ready for a serious rassling match when it comes time to reverse the bag after sewing.

Among the readily available leathers, I'm getting fond of Tandy's Deertand cowhide. It's easy to work with and soft enough to eliminate scraping and rattling on brush when you're in the woods. It's pretty soft unlined, but stiffens up good when you glue on pillow ticking for facing or lining. LOTS cheaper than elk hide, but it's similar enough to count. In fact, I think Tandy recently had a pretty good sale on it, though I don't know if the sale is still running.

Ya--I'm not about to use the thick stuff for a bag. I have some lighter weight stuff around from another project. I have some upholstery grade leather left from a rocking chair project I did a while back. Thick enough, very flexible, and looks great when scuffed.

I have a Tandy store nearby, so I'll keep an eye on those sales.

NJStricker said:
I have a Tandy store nearby, so I'll keep an eye on those sales.

If you join their wholesale club, you'll get a discount on lots of stuff, plus a flyer called The Sciver. That's where some of the really hot sales come through. I got around 50% off some leather I bought recently.

I've thought about doing that, but since up til now I've only made knife sheaths, and only make about 4 or 5 knives a year, it didn't have a big benefit for me. If I do get addicted to making bags like you guys warn, then I might need to join up! :grin:

It's worth it. The current skiver (expires 2/14) has 5-6 oz tooling sides (25-28 sq.ft.) for $2.99 a foot, down from $4.99. You'll recover the cost of membership in one swat. Trouble is, it makes it so darned easy for me to order and buy stuff, it's pretty hard to put down the phone for less than $300-400 dollars, and I do that several times a year.

Check out item #'s 11372-03 or 7079-06 on their site or shelf. I'll keep it a mystery, but PC or not, they make just about the coolest button latches you've ever seen for a shooting bag. I just ordered 20 of each on sale to replace the 6 of each I've already gone through.

Dang, addictions get expensive!!!!

Back