• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting with a 36cal.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a .32 cva. It is happiest with thirty grains of 3f, it isn't all that prone to fouling, no worse than my big rifles. I can get of 6 or 7 shots off at squirrels without wiping the bore. It is pretty destructive on rabbits but just the ticket on big ole red squirrels. I wouldn't even dream of taking on a big hog with a .36 much less a .32. I have been in several running gun battles with feral hogs and would far prefer to be overgunned.Yikes!

If I was going up there right now with my muzzleloading interests, I'd probably carry a deer rifle and a cap and ball revolver for the ptarmigan. It's problematic to change out big game loads for small game loads in a rifle as I do with my cartridge guns, so I don't think I'd try that.

We whack the blue grouse here in co while hunting deer and elk just as you do the Ptarmigans (we also have ptarmigan here and a season to boot but I've never seen one when they were in season). Anyway, I used to carry a .22 revolver or pistol and for a while a .44 cap and ball revolver but I either got smart or lazy, not sure which, and now I just whack em with my .50 or .54. Any hit from the top of the head to the base of the neck gives a 100% edible bird. :) Infact, I've gotten a bit averse to shooting them with a shotgun cause of the meat damage and the bbs. Plus, does anything taste worse than a bite of bird with a feather in the meat? :confused:

I use mine on squirrels. I would rather have my .54 for hogs. Just my opinion.

Merdean

A few years back I tried a .22 Mag on hogs and found it to be a poor choice.

Body shots left a almost non-existent blood trail.

Behind the ear they dropped like a stone - If you miss that sweet spot you have a mess on your hands.

Found two head shot hogs (missed the sweet spot)
a week later, still alive, very sick (infected wounds)and finished them off with a 270.

One thing to remember is a hog is almost always moving - making precision shots tough.

If you are hunting them over bait and have a good rest with maxi-balls you might have a chance.

But, the .54 is a much better choice.

The head shot on most any animal when shooting off hand at a moving target in heavy cover is a marginal call at best.

I am not trying to preach here , but I probably have killed 100+ hogs with all types of weapons and offer up my experience.

Leo

Back