• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting With a Bess?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanChamberlain

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone taken a deer with a Bess? I'd like to know the load and performance if you'd care to share.

Can one work up a good load with the .72 bore that will allow for decent 50 yard performance in both accuracy and velocity?

I know, lots of deer probably fell to that bore size, particularly in 12ga, but does the Bess have the strength to achieve good performance?

Dan

Should be no problem. It isn't the velocity that kills, it's the size and weight of the ball.

I use 90grs ff and .69 cal ball with leath split patch for moose seams to do the job if I do mine.
get close and aim small on the boilerhouse.
bess makes a good hole!

That big ball should be adequate for any N American game animal at normal ranges.

I prefer a .715 ball and a .018 patch pushed by 80 gr FFG. This load gives very good accuracy atranges of 50 yards and beyond, so it is more than accurate enough for deer, at that range.

I have only killed one deer with the bess, shot through both lungs at about 20 yards, and that deer went down within 30 yards of where it was hit.

Personally, I would be more concerned with the speed and reliability of the lock than the effectiveness of the ball...not to mention your ability shooting that bess.

The guns are accurate enough, but it takes working up an accurate load and practice to realize their full potential.
J.D.

JD pretty much summed it up for any large bore smoothie, if you know the gun well it will do well for you.

I shot the tail off of a Squrill onetime with a .72 bore.Cleaned it right in two.That's how I got my screen name. :blah:

Dan: There are some things you can do to improve the accuracy of your bess, besides working up your load carefully. Make sure the barrel is beded evenly, so it does not twist during recoil. Make sure the rings are not too tight, putting pressure on the barrel.

That lug makes a pretty lousy front sight. Some men file or grind down a portion of the top of the lug to make a narrower front sight, but still retain the keeper function of the lug for their bayonets. And, some put some kind of rear sight on the gun, one that can be removed so that the gun is restored to its traditional configuration.

Polish the bore, too, with lapping compound if it shows any tool marks in it.

Finally, tune that lock so you aren't crushing flints. Besides the costs of flints, the vibrations from that impact rattles the gun and often spoils a good shot. The trigger pull should be about 5 lbs, too, for good hunting accuracy. Most are much more than that. First polish contact surfaces, and get rid of any thing in the lock that is rubbing against the lock plate, or some other part where it is not suppose to do so. All that contributes to slow lock speed, and a slow time for the cock to fall and create sparks. Once you have all the parts moving freely, you can set about tuning the lock. The Frizzen should open with no more than 3 lbs. of pressure placed on the top of the face, and pushed forward. The mainspring should be about 15 lbs. but can even go less. Most are over 30 lbs, and hurt your fingers to cock the darn things.

Dan

“Has anyone taken a deer with a Bess?”

Yes, I have for a number of years. My Bess works great.

The load that I use is 70 gr. of 2F with 2F in the pan.
The gun will consistently hit the end of a five gallon
bucket at 125 yards offhand. I have never shot at a
deer with it past maybe 60 yards but they went down
where they were, not another step.

The fun is coming up with the load that your gun likes.

Tinker2

Back