• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting with a flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We could do thAT! It might be the blind leading the blind but once we get around the Cape,shouldn't be much problem....

Swampy said:
We could do thAT! It might be the blind leading the blind but once we get around the Cape,shouldn't be much problem....
Hmmmmm...Cape of good hope,Cape horn,Cape Sable Island,Cape Buffalo...Batmans Cape?Which is it...I can't seem to get around any of them. :grin:

Man years ago we went up in an RV to go out on the Cape for a weekend of blue fishing. Well before they let us go out, we were missing a couple of safety things needed by every RV before driving out on the beach. So of course we ended up in P town trying to get those items and it was quite an awaking for this country boy. That was the first and last time I ever been there. :shocked2:

P-Town as it is known in the area is Provincetown Massachusetts. It is the first location where the Pilgrims landed on their way to the new world.

P-Town is basically the San Francisco of the East Coast.

Mary and I went there for a day trip and as a couple we stood out as being odd in the crowd.

Whatever you do, don't go into the gift shop "Spank the Monkey". It ain't exactly family oriented.

We needed to to get either 50foot or 100 foot of rope, forgot. And Fire extinguisher in order to be allowed on the beach. Needless to sat P town was a wake up call for this country boy and I stayed in the RV with the doors looked ae the other guys ran in to buy what we needed lol.

bigbore442001 said:
P-Town as it is known in the area is Provincetown Massachusetts. It is the first location where the Pilgrims landed on their way to the new world.

P-Town is basically the San Francisco of the East Coast.
I didn't think any of the pilgrims were Gay? :shake: :shake: :rotf:

Halftail said:
On wet or lightly rainy days I hunt unprimed and maybe a softwood plug in the flashole,with the frizzen closed on a small rag.
Doesn't the rag tend to absorb and draw moisture inside the pan?

Halftail said:
The deer aren't that plenty here that one can afford blow what might be your only opportunity for the season.
Definitely a concern of mine too...

BlueSky said:
Halftail said:
On wet or lightly rainy days I hunt unprimed and maybe a softwood plug in the flashole,with the frizzen closed on a small rag.
Doesn't the rag tend to absorb and draw moisture inside the pan?

I plug the flashole with the soft stick to prevent moisture from going in there.Thinking I can pull it out, wipe the pan and prime before I shoot.
The small rag is in there to cushion the closed frizzen from snapping off the soft stick.It's just something I've been fooling with to be able to hunt in the rain.I've tried other things like Cows knees and greese in the barrell channel.Nothing much seems to work...my flintlock like a good drink of water when it rains.

If you want to keep water out of the TH, and you don't trust the "stick", then soak the cloth patch with alcohol, before placing it under the frizzen. Evaporation of the alcohol will both dry any rain or water that lands on it, but will also evaporate any moisture that gets into the barrel. :hmm: :thumbsup:

BOBs B.P. notebook says you can put soft candle wax on the bottom of the frizzen and shut it creating a wax seal where it meets the pan. :hmm: Anybody ever try that? :v

Heard people using pliable beeswax around the pan. I've never seen a reason to use it,yet. Weather just hasn't gotten wet enough where I couldn't cover my lock to begin with.

Back