• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting with a muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garandman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I'm a total newb BP shooter... and I don't hunt... so please ignore what follows... :thumbsup:

That said, I'm shooting 80 gr of American Pioneer from my CVA, and the huge white cloud that magically appears after the boom, would make the deer vanish. Such that it would be impossible to tell which way the deer run.

Which I would think is problematic...

Never had that problem. How far can a deer run with a 1/2" hole through the vitals?! But seriously, you can see a deer without any problems if it starts to run off. The last deer I shot was 48 yards away. I watched it "run" from about 5 yards from where it was when I shot to where it dropped about 20 yards away.

garandman said:
"...the huge white cloud that magically appears after the boom, would make the deer vanish. Such that it would be impossible to tell which way the deer run. Which I would think is problematic...

It's really not a problem...the smoke is in front and you'll see movement off to one side or another right after the shot. Remember, black powder muzzleloaders were used around the world to put food on the table for hundreds of years.
Deer are very cautious and constantly look/search ahead as they ease through the woods...when shot, 999 out of 1000 times they'll immediately swap ends and make a mad dash back the way they came because they've just come through there and know it to be safe.
Knowing that, its the main side of the smoke that I pay most attention to right after a shot and usually see a flash through the trees, usually followed by him going down is sight.

I clean out my muzzleloader before loading as Roundball said but also use 91% isopropal alcohol to clean out the gun oil I use on the bore. The smoke thing. I found that APP powder smoked a lot more than goex or graffs. I get what you are saying. I have harvested a few deer using APP. I would find myself looking around the cloud of smoke (not the best thing in a tree stand). Also I know the lag time seems like forever but use your ears as well listen for the crash. I have considered investing in the ear protection plugs that also amplify the sounds in the forest.

I dunno, I've always been able to see a deer reaction to the shot that split second before everything is obscured. Theres also usually a breeze of some kind that whisks away the smoke in a hurry, always been able to see most of a mad dash if one makes one...

Sometimes a problem. When the cloud clears and you see white belly laying where a deer had been standing is obviously better.

Listen after the shot. Keep a mental note of where the crashing headed as you reload. Scuff up where you had been standing so, if you have to, you can return to that spot. Walk over to where the deer had been and start looking for blood and hair (don't mess up the crime scene).

From there it should just be normal blood-trail work. I carry 20 ft of line that I can drag as I follow the blood-trail. If I lose the trend I drop the line and start fanning or even circling (hands and knees sometimes) until I find continuation. Then I bring the line up to that spot and continue.

Usually the deer drops within sight or sound. Some have fallen where they stood. One was bedded and never stood up. Double lung shots have proven for me to be better at stopping a deer than heart shots that may angle through only one lung; though I shot a buck head-on and he reared up and then dropped without moving his hind legs.

You don't mention bore size, but 80 gr of blackpowder leaves a noticable hole and will push a 0.490" ball completely through a 200 lb deer.

One would think that's how the scenario goes down but in reality when you actually take your first shot at a deer when you're hunting the scenario doesn't play out like that at all. For how much a gun smokes, your senses will be surprisingly vigilant. Just trust us on that :thumbsup:

Swampy said:
I dunno, I've always been able to see a deer reaction to the shot that split second before everything is obscured. Theres also usually a breeze of some kind that whisks away the smoke in a hurry, always been able to see most of a mad dash if one makes one...
Yea, that sounds like how that deer I shot in the 2010 season. It was the type of day that it's so windy you get sea sick from sittin up in the stand :grin:. I popped a shot off at this button buck and put it right behind his shoulder and I could see the entire impact like if I was bowhunting. Let's just say as soon as I saw that ball zip through his lungs I knew he wasn't goin far.

Stumpkiller said:
Double lung shots have proven for me to be better at stopping a deer than heart shots that may angle through only one lung;

Gotta agree, double lung shot deer I have taken have not gone more than about 30 yards max.

I can understand the ops concern though. I have had shots that were totaly obscured by the smoke, and if not for my hunting partner, would not have known exactly which direction the deer went in. Made finding the blood trail a little easier knowing what direction it took off in.

The cloud of smoke from a muzzleloader can easily obscure small game but even then you will normally see the scene play out.

With deer being much bigger than squirrels or coyotes it would be unusual to lose sight of one unless it was obscured by brush when you shot it. I can't recall an instance where the smoke prevented me from seeing their reaction.

No Deer said:
Stumpkiller said:
Double lung shots have proven for me to be better at stopping a deer than heart shots that may angle through only one lung;

Gotta agree, double lung shot deer I have taken have not gone more than about 30 yards max.

I can understand the ops concern though. I have had shots that were totaly obscured by the smoke, and if not for my hunting partner, would not have known exactly which direction the deer went in. Made finding the blood trail a little easier knowing what direction it took off in.

Interesting note, my single-lung shot buck went 60yds this year. Interesting how that worked out when most deer go around 30yds with both lungs blown out.

As to the smoke, even when it is still outside, it dissipates fast enough that you still know what is going on.

garandman said:
...the huge white cloud that magically appears after the boom....

The only time that's been an issue for me is using a double to hunt snowshoe hare on snow. There's something about a white rabbit on white snow behind white smoke that makes the second shot pretty theoretical. :rotf:

I don't recall it ever being an issue with larger game though, or any animal that contrasts well against a background. Even wingshooting ducks against a "white" sky is never a problem for the second shot.

I wouldn't call it "problematic" but it can create a little additional challenge. In fact for me, after 30 years of exclusively bowhunting prior to taking up muzzleloading, just shooting a projectile I couldn't see was quite different. With an arrow, I virtually always knew exactly where I hit and thus how trailing should proceed.

While most of my colleagues here are describing "one deer in the immediate area" scenerios, I've had shots where there are as many as two-dozen or more deer in the immediate area, and the cloud of smoke definitely has prevented me from seeing which way "my" deer went as bodies are flying everywhere and in every direction. Since I'm usually in thicker areas, I many times may not see which way the particular deer that was shot goes. However, with a careful aim and good hit, the evidence is usually pretty clear to follow and not a "problem."

The big mushroom cloud is the best bit. Embrace it. Modern rifle shooters dont get to see anything. I feel sorry for 'em. :youcrazy:

I have seen the cloud of smoke obscure vision once, on an incredibly warm, humid, windless, non-typical hunting day.

When not shooting BP do you think hunters can see their quarry from impact point to where it drops? :grin: Perhaps on them cable network hunting shows where the hunters shoot from towers and whisper to each other when the buck is 300 yards off that does happen, but generally not. :haha:

In fact it's rare in the smokeless cartridge community, especially when using optics, that the hunter doesn't lose sight of the deer due to recoil, and actually sees the deer fall. Once the deer starts moving, there is no way to tell which way it went, except that it didn't come back right at the hunter, and when it starts moving the vast majority of hunters, lose sight of the deer as it moves through the brush, if not immediately after the shot.

Deer ...when shot, 999 out of 1000 times they'll immediately swap ends and make a mad dash back the way they came because they've just come through there and know it to be safe.

I'd have to disagree a bit with this. I'd say more like 50% that they will reverse direction. I've seen them do a complete reverse, I've seen them continue the way they were going as it was the direction the rest of the bunch went when the shot rang out, and I've seen them head toward an area where they commonly congregate.

Now I'm sure Roundball will agree that he and I can only base our observations on the deer that went far enough to give an indication of direction..., the ones that drop right where they were hit don't give ya much of a clue of what they would've done had they been able. :grin: I've also seen deer with a through and through lung hit meander in a zig zag manner, but not very far.

LD

I was up about 20ft in a tree stand and had 2 nice size does stop and look straight up at me. It took what seemed to be 1/2 an hour (probably only 30 seconds) to get my BP rifle lined up on the biggest one. When I did fire I couldn't see anything but a white cloud between me and the deer. I got down as soon as my father came and asked me if I had got anything. We started looking for blood I had a nice trail that went through the thickest brush and found the doe within 15ft of the road. Made it a lot easier to drag her out. It depends on if there is very much wind if so you can sometimes see the impact of the RB if the shot isn't very far. I have shot deer from as close as 3ft out to 130 yards with my BP rifle.

I do love deer that have been trained to drop near my truck. Yours are obviously well trained, too :haha: .

Kapow said:
The big mushroom cloud is the best bit. Embrace it. Modern rifle shooters dont get to see anything. I feel sorry for 'em. :youcrazy:
Yep, that cloud of smoke is a purty sight in the woods. :thumbsup: I love the sulfuric scent of burnt powder on an early fall morning :grin:

Back