• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hunting with city kin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel collums

45 Cal.
Reaction score
one of my cousins came down one xmas and wanted to go hunting with me. i got my extra .50 kentucky out and showed him how to load it and let him shoot it a few times. he did very good and hit a coke can at 50 yards and loaded each load just as i showed him. the next morning right before daylight off to the woods we go. i put him in a good spot and headed to my spot. i hadn't even sat down when he shot. i started to go back to him but sat down myself hoping he might scare a deer to me. boom he shot again. dang the suspense was killing me what the heck was he shooting at squirrels? i sat there about another 30 minutes and got up to go check on him, BOOM he shot again, about 5 more minutes and BOOM, well that was the last time he shot cause that was all the loads i had gave him. when i came over the ridge he was still sitting up against the tree i left him at. i walked up and ask if he got one, he just looked at me and said i don't know one came up on top of the ridge and stood there a few minutes and i shot at it and it ran off then it came back and i shot at it again. a little later it came back and i took a good aim and shot again but i reckon i missed cause it ran off, then right before you came up i saw it again and fired my last shot but it was moving so i probable missed that time also. i looked at him thinking how stupid i was for letting him loose with a gun, lets go see if we can find any blood sure enough ole dead eye bob killed 2 big fat does and two of their yearlings. he looked at me and said thats got to be good for my first ever deer hunt. all i could think was you better be glad we was just out behind the house and on my land.

I had a similar occurrance. I was hunting in a one buck county. I saw a buck come out into a clearing about 100 yards away. I took careful aim and fired. When the smoke cleared, I saw him get up and stagger into the woods. I knew he was hit hard and I just needed to give him time to die. As I sat there with a fresh load in my rifle, he suddenly came out into the clearing from the same direction he had disappeared. It sure looked like the same exact deer, looked like 8 points just like he did when I first shot him. I quickly took aim and this time he didn't go anywhere. I went up to claim my deer and when I got there, not only did I have the one deer on the ground but there just a short ways into the woods was the first deer that I had shot. Two dead bucks in a one buck county :doh: .....I was in trouble. I quickly got them back to camp, quartered them up and put them into my big ice chest and headed home. I had fear and guilt all over my face and I just knew a game warden was going to stop me. Game laws have teeth and I didn't want to be caught with two bucks, one of which was completely illegal, in that county. But, luckily, I made it home and the meat went into my freezer.

I shot a doe once on a steep hillside. It ran up about 50 yards and then tumbled down. As I was walking down the opposite side almost 100y off, a doe got up and ran up the hill. I drew down on it and almost shot it thinking it was the deer I shot. After thinking for a moment I decided it fell too hard to get back up like that. Wise choice for me and I found the deer was sitting in the bushes, dead.

Good thing he ran out of loads! Maybe he was a market hunter in a previous life. :rotf:
Nit Wit

Those sort of things can happen. I shot at a smallish deer in tall grass one time in a field and when the smoke cleared, he was gone. A second or two later a small deer was standing right where the deer was. I shot and he ran off, but obviously hit hard. I gave him 15 minutes, and then followed up, starting from where he was when I shot. Well, the first shot had spined the first deer and he had dropped dead on the spot, and it was a NEW deer I had shot and run off. He was dead about 10 yards away just in to the woods

And some people go seaons without ANY, LOL.

I knew a guy who went turkey hunting. Ten in a row as each in turn went up to the last one that had been shot and killed. Said it was like a shooting gallery at the arcade and not a one seemed scared or fled...

I have not shot 2 deer one after the other, but I did have a time where I shot a deer in the shoulder and the bullet came up high through the other side and hit a deer 5 yards away from it, the worst part the bullet hit the second deer in the gut. The first deer went 10 yards and dropped the other deer went up the hill about 20 yards and stopped and I put him down. Felt horrible but I was not about to let a deer run off gut shot for a fear of a fine.

i made a pass through last deer season on a nice buck and hit a doe standing on the other side. the ball hit the buck right through the heart lung area and then hit the doe and broke both hind legs. i dont think the .54 round ball even knew it hit anything.

i made a pass through last deer season on a nice buck and hit a doe standing on the other side. the ball hit the buck right through the heart lung area and then hit the doe and broke both hind legs. i dont think the .54 round ball even knew it hit anything.

Latest posts

Back