• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting with traditional clothing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alaskasmoker

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So Im thinking I might put together a traditional clothing outfit for hunting this year. Im a little aprehensive though as Im used to Goretex and synthetics and I hunt in Alaska where even the modern stuff gets put to the limits.

That being said, Im not planning any extended hunts with this gear. I'll always make it back to the truck in a day.

Im concerned about durability though as a this clothing is not cheap.

What Kind of materials am I looking for? Canvas, muslin, linen? Id like to stay away from cotton. The only material Im familiar with that I think I would like is wool.

Im thinking at least bucksking pants I like the look, but have never worn them. How are they? and Moccasins. Not sure about the mocs yet as most places I hunt is pretty swampy.

Kinda looking for a Mountain man look here, thanks in advance

Alaska,

For freedom of movement, there's nothing like a 'clout and leggings. You just need to get used to having bare thighs. If its cold out, then put on a longhunter shirt, or two, and you wont believe how comfortable and protected you are. however, the clothing 'pressure points' are different from modern wear, so you need to get used to that.
In cold weather i also will wear wool hose under my leggings. In hot weather the leather alone can get clammy. But try it out, and see how it works for you.
cheers,

Mr. alaskasmoker,
We use wool as much as possible.
We do not wear moccasins for the very reason you mention, as well as (for us) too dangerous when it snows.
Cotton or linen shirt for the hot days.
Treated canvas "poncho" when it rains.
We do not wear clout & leggings due to the mosquitoes.
Best Wishes

Greetings,
Traditional clothing and hunting go great together.
I have been hunting in Alaska with muzzleloaders and wearing traditional clothing for over 25 years. Dont let the fact that your in the last frontier discourage the use of period clothes and equipment. During moose season the weather is mostly good, not to cold in August/September. I wear moc boots, wool leggings, linen kneebreaches, linen shirt,linnen waistcoat, canvas hunting frock and a wool hat or bonnet. these clothes are plenty warm and comfortable. The wet does not bother me and the cloth clothing drys out quickly at the camp fire at the end of the day. Leather is much harder to dry out. My clothing is 1750s era. I always hunt in period clothing, if i am going into extreme terain i will wear my modern hunting boots, or in cold/snow.
Stickdrivepic11-14-07122.jpg
Stickdrivepic11-14-07120.jpg
Here are some picture of me and my buddy on a 10 day hunt.

Cool pics. In my state there would have to be a layer of orange with a bit of orange on the head to boot.

I don't do the period dress thing, but never tire of checking out the costumes of those who do.

You definately want wool. Maybe a layer of linen/wool blend (Linsey/Wolsey).

Carp is a neighbor of mine and he comes over occasionally for a "traditional" whitetail hunt. He favors greatcoats that are heavy wool and I go for layers.

HPIM0382a.jpg

CarpStumpy.jpg

Here's a wool westkit and wool leggins (over a layer of linen) that are good for still-hunting down below freezing.

HPIM0386a.jpg

Hunt up a capote for the "Mountain Man" cold weather gear. That's a good choice in the winter even still.

cool pics!

Flintlock, what caliber is your pistol? jus curious.

Here's winter wear for me:

Copyofmiscellaneous037.jpg

Winter time it's lots of wool and fur. For boots I like Mukluks.

buffalo2.JPG

This is a blaze orange WOOL hood/cape over a wool Longhunter shirt

warm_wool.JPG

Warmer weather you can go with a non wool Long shirt/frock, leggins and clout

Bear_hunter.JPG

If I'm in the woods I am usally in primitive garb.
we sew our shirts and pants out of two different weight canvas, oil skin and wool.
I agree with NWTF, wool is you winter best friend.
Does any body know how to control the size of the pic?
I have photobucket
DSCF2695-2.jpg

2009_03040017.jpg

pagen009.jpg

DSCF2260-2.jpg

DSCF2715.jpg

DSCF3881.jpg

000_0883.jpg

NWTF Longhunter said:
Winter time it's lots of wool and fur. For boots I like Mukluks.

buffalo2.JPG

This is a blaze orange WOOL hood/cape over a wool Longhunter shirt

warm_wool.JPG

Warmer weather you can go with a non wool Long shirt/frock, leggins and clout

Bear_hunter.JPG

NWFT can you post your moose pic again?

Mr. alaskasmoker,
Think you will find wool to be as durable as anything else on the market.
Have a hunting shirt make of leather (commercial tanned) and have found it to be a bit too warm in the summer. Brain tanned might be a different story. Always wanted to try a air of buckskin pants. Maybe next season.
There are a number of folks that hunt traditional here in Alaska. However, have never bumped into another person dressed traditional in all the years we have lived here and have not even seen another person hunting with a muzzleloader in the last 15 years or so. I know they are afield, just haven't seen them.
Hard to beat Moose hide mukluks in the winter.
Sometimes in the Fall, will wear Jefferson 1/2 Boots. If it is really wet, we wear Gore-Tex socks, inside out of sight. You could do the same with moccasins.
Good luck in your journey! It is a lot of fun.
Best Wishes

always dress traditional when i'm hunting,spring through fall i usually wear linen shirts,wool for winter.as for my feet i wear a pair of double soled soulier's de boeuf that i made a pair of liners for from a piece of old wool blanket. even if they get wet they still stay fairly warm but i'm sure the winters here in Missouri aint near what they are in Alaska.

003.jpg

011.jpg

Thats Ausom!!!
I have been putting in as a out of stater in my home state of VT for Moose for a few years now should get lucky soon.
I called in a 50 inch bull for my buddy four years ago.
I want to nail one with my 54 iron PA flint.

david50 said:
always dress traditional when i'm hunting,spring through fall i usually wear linen shirts,wool for winter.as for my feet i wear a pair of double soled soulier's de boeuf that i made a pair of liners for from a piece of old wool blanket. even if they get wet they still stay fairly warm but i'm sure the winters here in Missouri aint near what they are in Alaska.

003.jpg

011.jpg

I would give a left nutt for a forest full of tree rats, sweet pic

Back