• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunts From Years Ago

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here are a couple of photos taken in 1978 and '79 on the Hart Mtn. hunts we made in SE Oregon. I'm on the left in the photo of the two of us along with my late hunting partner. Those were the days!

Attachments

• IMG_3673.JPG
    IMG_3673.JPG
    148.9 KB
  • IMG_3674.JPG
    IMG_3674.JPG
    187.3 KB
A western Mzlder hunt holds more interest to me than a flat shooting CF rifle does these days. Those look like memories to cherish. Glad you have them to muse upon.

I love those kinda photos. Was the tepee your base camp? A western hunt is on my bucket list.

I love those kinda photos. Was the tepee your base camp? A western hunt is on my bucket list.
We hunted out of the Tepee. The photos don't show it but we hunted the west side of the range. It was a steep 2 mile hike up to a big flat below the rimrock. We were both timber cruisers in those days and spent our working time on what we called "a pleasant stroll through the woods" so we were in excellent shape. On one of the trips, I don't remember which, as I worked my way up the mountain I saw some antlers flash in the sun on the edge of the flat above me. I made a stalk and found the buck grazing along around 50 yds away. I made a heart shot and the buck kicked his heels up above his back and took off like a heart shot deer will do. My partner was coming around a small rise that was between us and when the buck went by in some sagebrush he took a shot at the head which was all he could see and the buck collapsed at the shot. He thought to himself that he'd made one hell of a great shot on a running deer. We both got to the dead buck at the same time and figured out that he'd ran out of gas from the heart shot at the same time my partner had pulled the trigger. The fellow was one of the very few people I've enjoyed hunting with and I wish he was still around.

Last edited:
Here are a couple of photos taken in 1978 and '79 on the Hart Mtn. hunts we made in SE Oregon. I'm on the left in the photo of the two of us along with my late hunting partner. Those were the days!
Great pictures. nice bucks. and the right guns. And ... I love the use of a tipi [teepee]... my kinda hunting. Polecat '' P.S. The guys look pretty cool as well

We hunted out of the Tepee. The photos don't show it but we hunted the west side of the range. It was a steep 2 mile hike up to a big flat below the rimrock. We were both timber cruisers in those days and spent our working time on what we called "a pleasant stroll through the woods" so we were in excellent shape. On one of the trips, I don't remember which, as I worked my way up the mountain I saw some antlers flash in the sun on the edge of the flat above me. I made a stalk and found the buck grazing along around 50 yds away. I made a heart shot and the buck kicked his heels up above his back and took off like a heart shot deer will do. My partner was coming around a small rise that was between us and when the buck went by in some sagebrush he took a shot at the head which was all he could see and the buck collapsed at the shot. He thought to himself that he'd made one hell of a great shot on a running deer. We both got to the dead buck at the same time and figured out that he'd ran out of gas from the heart shot at the same time my partner had pulled the trigger. The fellow was one of the very few people I've enjoyed hunting with and I wish he was still around.

I cannot help but ask, did he hit the buck on the run in the head, or did it fall at the opportune time to make your buddy think he did? Great story. Funny how those type of things happen afield.
In the latter 90's I pulled the trigger on the last elk in a line of swiftly departing cows a split second after Gary's rifle cracked. BAN/BANG. Two that were almost one sounding shot with the quarry instantly falling dead. My bullet hole was obvious but Gary's was no where to be seen, until I was dressing it out. Once the skin pealed back from the rump a trickle of blood began to run down out of the hole in the back ham. It was good confirmation that we both did our job rather well.
Thanks again for sharing.

I had a few more pics from this hunt, but I don’t know where they ended up. Here is my old hunting compadre from Albuquerque. Some of you grey beards may remember him. Ol’ Moses McTavish.
i believe this hunt was in 1984. That’s Sheridan Peak in the background. This was in the Gila betweenSilver City and Pleasanton NM. Not to far from the Ariz. line.
5412E734-BA21-44FA-B5BE-E38692ADD7E2.jpeg

Back