• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hy-Hunter Buccaneer questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That cost to make a mainspring sounds about right, unfortunately in this case. Sounds like you have three choices:

1. Keep the pistol as a wall hanger.
2. Sell the pistol (at a big loss) for parts. (Sounds like the OP could use the butt cap and screw).
3. Spend whatever it takes to get get the lock in good working order, and keep it.

Rick
Totally re-vamping it into a working pistol, de-farbing it, etc., might be a rewarding project; sure, some more money into it, but the end result would be a reliable sparker, and increase it's value. "In for a cent, in for a dollar", they say.

Totally re-vamping it into a working pistol, de-farbing it, etc., might be a rewarding project; sure, some more money into it, but the end result would be a reliable sparker, and increase it's value. "In for a cent, in for a dollar", they say.
Yes, it comes down to how much you like the pistol and want to keep it for a shooter. One thing I've learned in this hobby of ours is that most anything can be done if one is willing to throw enough time and money into the project. LOL

Rick

That cost to make a mainspring sounds about right, unfortunately in this case. Sounds like you have three choices:

1. Keep the pistol as a wall hanger.
2. Sell the pistol (at a big loss) for parts. (Sounds like the OP could use the butt cap and screw).
3. Spend whatever it takes to get get the lock in good working order, and keep it.

Rick
If I decide on option 3. I guess I could start liquidating some of the pistols I don't use.
I have 3 of them. A Kentucky lookalike, a colonial lookalike and a Philadelphia derringer. I have the derringer listed right now.

100 Quid(equivalent) is a Good excuse for tryin a bit of DIY.. A bit of Spring steel, An ammer, a Blow lamp, a few bits of owd fire brick to make a muffle ( put in a Safe place ) and a trip to the local(friendly) Black Smith for some advise and ya could av a new Friend & hobby or part time Payin Occupation.. Just a Thought. Give it a TRY. Ya' never know..I've made quite a few dozen in the last 60 years.. O.D.

100 Quid(equivalent) is a Good excuse for tryin a bit of DIY.. A bit of Spring steel, An ammer, a Blow lamp, a fu bits of owd fire brick to mek a muffle ( put in a Safe place ) and a trip to the local(friendly) Black Smiff for some advise and ya could av a new Friend & hobby or part time Payin Occupation.. Just a Thought. Give it a TRY. Ya' never know..I've med quite a fyow dozen in the last 60 years.. O.D.

Last edited:
So I have one of these massive chunks of wood and steel. I bought it from an older gentleman who bought it new and never fired it about 15 years ago for $50. It's just been sitting on a shelf in a closet and I recently came across it again. I've been shooting percussion guns for years and I even have a matchlock. I've always wanted to play around with a flintlock but just never got around to it. Does anyone know what size flint these things take? The Frizzen is 1-1/8" wide at it's widest point if that helps. Also when I bought it it had the brass butt cap and at some point I lost the screw that holds it on. I had the cap in the toolbox I keep all of my blackpowder stuff for years but of course no I can't find it. Anyone know where I could find another one? Thanks in advance for any advice.

A standard sized similar wood screw should work on the buttcap.

Well Cabin Creek got back to me. Finding a new spring and fitting it, or making another to match would be over $200.

Cost of a new mainspring will run 150-200, sometimes higher. It’s an about a 5-6 hour job that involves measuring, cutting the steel, fitting, heat treating (most of the time) then tuning.

The cost involved is the material, tools, and of course time and talent which is what you’re paying for.

Many lock makers will end up needing to spend more time on locks they’re not familiar with, so the true cost of building a part could be higher (for the builder).

Sometimes lock makers will charge less because they’re already set up to do it very quickly, meaning they have some blanks for this particular lock set aside ready to go, or they have a part they can repurpose.

I’ve owned one of these in the past, the spring it uses is a simple V spring with a screw rounded bend that generally is much smaller than a typical spring of this style lock, any lock maker attempting to fit an 1816 spring or 1777 spring on this lock will also involve cutting the lock mortise open to fit the much larger spring.

Last edited:
Well it looked like a good buy at the time. I'd always wanted one and it was the cheapest I could afford.
I have a Colt Walker and the spring looks like I can make one work. It's the closest I could find that might work.

Not wide enough. The mainspring on this lock is smaller but wider, which is where the strength comes from.

It’s really just a simple V spring with a screw shaped boss that holds it into place.

Not terribly difficult to make but not easy to fit.

The steel used to make the spring needs to be a little thicker too, i think the original spring on these were Belgian made 5160 springs.

100 Quid(equivalent) is a Good excuse for tryin a bit of DIY.. A bit of Spring steel, An ammer, a Blow lamp, a few bits of owd fire brick to make a muffle ( put in a Safe place ) and a trip to the local(friendly) Black Smith for some advise and ya could av a new Friend & hobby or part time Payin Occupation.. Just a Thought. Give it a TRY. Ya' never know..I've made quite a few dozen in the last 60 years.. O.D.
Our local blacksmith has been gone over 60 years. And he was in his 70s when he passed away. In other words, there are no blacksmiths for a hundred mile radius.
I worked on antique engines and equipment. I used to make my own obsolete parts. I had a lathe, drill press, milling machine, to name a few. I had to move to a smaller place and liquidated everything I had including my beloved engines.
Now here I am at 71 in a 16x16 home with a 10x8 porch I enclosed and use as my gun working shop.
Can't do what I used to but enjoy it nonetheless.
No regrets.

Latest posts

Back