• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hyenes in Namibia?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreglerD

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello from Germany!

Any suggestions for this kind of hunting, especially with ML?
I was told that these hyenes only move during the night and are very shy.

Regards

Kirrmeister

:hmm: Shy...
Might be good to do what your nickname here in the forum says.
Place some food for them close to a tree "upgraded" with a portable treestand.
Wearing a camo-dress and choosing a fullmoon-night can´t be wrong too.
:2

Can´t imagine that you might have much chances with stalking. :surrender:

and be careful how you sleep ,these animal,s- unlike any other will attack the head first if they can get to you , hyena,s are not the cowards they have been made out to be ,they are very powerful. :thumbsup:

trucker said:
and be careful how you sleep ,these animal,s- unlike any other will attack the head first if they can get to you , hyena,s are not the cowards they have been made out to be ,they are very powerful. :thumbsup:

Indeed, they have extremely strong neck and jaw muscles and they are very very opportunistic. The strongest jaws of any land mammal. Their low centre of gravity also has many advantages. They will not attack blindly, but they will take any chance they are given and they are also very curious and humans are always easy prey. They are also surprisingly large (they are bigger than what people expect them to be) :thumbsup: The pioneers of the olden days used to sleep with their heads and feet inside buckets to prevent hyenas munching on these extremeties. :youcrazy:

romeoh said:
:hmm: Shy...
Might be good to do what your nickname here in the forum says.
Place some food for them close to a tree "upgraded" with a portable treestand.
Wearing a camo-dress and choosing a fullmoon-night can´t be wrong too.
:2

Can´t imagine that you might have much chances with stalking. :surrender:

Hi romeoh,

thought already about baiting them. Because I see no other way down there. Baiting has the advantage that you can bait them away from the cowherds and than you can sit in shifts at the baiting if there are more hunters interested.

Regards

Kirrmeister

I had a hyena once in the lower left side of my gut and.............. oops, sorry! Wrong kind of hyena :)

I bet they must be really hard to hunt!

I know nothin of them, but from what the locals in Africa have said, it's just a matter of sleeping without a bucket on your head and shooting the first thing that bites your ear. :wink:

As a teenager I read a biography in the highs school library titled," Hunter". It was about a Scottish professional hunter , John A. Hunter, who emigrated to Kenya and established a great reputation as a guide and professional hunter.

He talked about hyenas. He commented that one of the problems that occurred was that a number of native men would get drunk on a local homemade beer around an evening campfire. Some would pass out and during the night hyenas would come to check out the camp. Sometimes these animals would decide to take a chunck out of a person. He commented that there were a number of people with horrible scars. Missing peices of their chins, cheeks, fingers and he later commented other places as to imply that some men lost their " manhood".

If I am not mistaken, jackals and hyenas are considered what we in the US call a varmint. A pest animal that can be hunted for free or have little or no restrictions.

My advice would be to seek a guide on the internet from Namibia and email some questions. My best guess for hunting them would be the way we here in the northeast hunt the coyote.

I bet they would find a kill site of a large animal and set up a blind or even a treestand. It would be a matter of sitting still and being scent free.

They are pretty big animals so I would probably use a heavy load and a conical bullet. Just my humble opinion and I may be very wrong on my assessments.

I do know it would make a great mount for the wall although I don't believe your wife would want it on the bedroom wall. My Mary hates the wild boar head I have thus it is relegated to a separate room which she doesn't go into.

One option might be one of the "dying rabbit" calls used for hunting coyotes and try it early or late in the day.

One trick leopard hunters use is to place a red battery powered light above a bait. Run a electrical cord back to your blind. A rehostat is placed between the light and the battery. When an animal comes, you can very slowly turn the light on and then increase the amount of light. Animals can not see a red light.

The above works well for hunting hogs at night!!!

RDE

Hello from Germany!

Thanks for the suggestions! I had similar ideas. I think baiting with a dead animal like one of them they use to eat (rabbit, calf) and then taking place in a groundblind in full camouflage at night together with another hunter. One hunter is lighting the other one is shooting, a .54 ML with PRb will do the job.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Paul in my response it notes to use a "RED" light and that anmimal cannot see a red light.

"One trick leopard hunters use is to place a “red above a bait"". Run a electrical cord back to your blind. A rehostat is placed between the light and the battery. When an animal comes, you can very slowly turn the light on and then increase the amount of light. ""Animals can not see a red light"".

one thing I didn't see mentioned is that they travel in PACKS, where there is one there are usuallly more that you may not see.Always keep your backside covered for unexpected arrivals

After thought: If you are hunting on snow covered ground( I thought of this and Germany's weather conditions during their Fall and Winters ) Use a Dark blue cover over the light. The blue highlights movement but moves into the Ultra violet light ranges, and does not bother animals, either. Test both with your dogs and cats.

See? They aren't all mean and such!!

speak-softly.jpg

Oha, didn't think that they are that big? :shocked2: So a .54 PRb and 120 grs of Wano PP will be good medicine! :grin:

Regards

Kirrmeister

Back