• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I am truly blessed. #2

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silly goose

45 Cal.
Reaction score
400121784.jpg

This morning broke at 16 degrees, and I wasn't too crazy about getting out of bed. But these are the mornings that we dream of all year long. I absolutely love these mornings when you can see the deer's breath. It was crisp with a slight wind. The woods were silent and any noise seemed amplified. I was setting on a stand that I have only set once this season. That day, during rifle season, 9 does passed by me in the am. I needed the right conditions to go back, and this morning I did. It really was perfect. I had my "toastie-toes" in my sorels, and a handwarmer in each breast pocket. Squirrels were running rampant, making tons of noise. I was set up about 30 yards off a trail I had made to get firewood with my atv. As soon as I cleared it, the deer started to use it. The brush is very thick, except for a landing that was recently used for logging. I never heard her coming but saw her walking down my atv trail. When I saw her, she startled me, and I reached for my renegade. She heard that lil bit of noise, but dismissed it soon enough. I let her walk about another 10 yards to a small clearing in the brush. When she entered it, I bleated softly. She stopped, I settled the sights behind her shoulder, and made smoke. The shot seemed to resonate forever, and I could barely see two deer run straight away out of the smoke. I took a little time to collect my thoughts, and gathered my self up. I made my way nice and easy to where she stood at the shot. Nothing. Weird, not even hair. I slowly followed the way she had gone. Nothing. I stayed in her tracks for about 20 yards, finally a speck of blood, already frozen. A couple more steps, a lil more blood, and so it went. More and more blood until I found the old girl piled up about 50 yards from where she was at the shot. This is only my second bp deer, both with a .50 cal ball through the lungs, and both went 50 yards. I'll take it. I have to say, I am getting more and more fond of this renegade. She makes meat. Thanks for listening guys.

Good show SG, congratulations again !
:thumbsup:

PS:
No requirement for Hunter Orange there?

No orange requirement here. I usually only wear it when moving to or from stand, and then I like to be above ground so as to be out of the line of fire. I also hunt a lot of second rate locations just to be away from other folks. I consider it a great day if I don't see anyone else in the woods. I don't hunt the opening week of rifle, just to let the wingnuts get it out of their system. But I'll be out til the end, you can count on that.

Good story and great hunt. I hunt on private land but still wear at least an orange cap (orange required) since some people don't mind trespassing.

:hatsoff: Attaboy!! yep were a lil chilly this morn...lil crunchy too...geez! seen nothin again..but goin back out directly.....time runnin out........ good fer you! :thumbsup:

Great hunt. How many deer are you allowed to harvest this season?? thanks for the pic and the description of your hunt, wish I was there to help drag her out!!Leebone

I have an antlered tag for regular season, which if it goes unfilled can be used for late muzzleloader. I also have a two tags for bow/muzzle, which can be filled either or. One is for antlerless, and one is for either sex. I still have a regular season tag for a buck, but think I will be done now. I have to go back to work tomorrow night, so this was pretty good timing. It was a perfect morning. I do have to get bundled up in my wools, but I like it cold. I'd have liked a little snow on the ground but I know you cant have it all. My daughter, god bless her, dressed it, first one by herself. We just came inside now, she skinned it, and we broke it down to butcher tomorrow. She used to hunt with me, but now she stays pretty busy with work, but she is there to lend a hand when she can. I tell you, I am a lucky fellow.

A job well done. Nice pics of a nice doe. Well done.
That Renegade sure is a deer hunting gun.
Congrates again.

Back