• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

i broke my breech plug! :-(

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since many have question as to what part is broken I think these will help greatly.

gun_parts_muzzleloading_rifle.gif

gun_parts_matchlock_wheellock.gif

This is 2 different styles of breech plugs.
IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_5061.jpg

This is a breech plug that's installed on the barrel already. Note the vertical line right after '54' where the barrel stops and the plug start.

IMG_0779.JPG
this is a hooked type and it screws into the back of the barrel.

This is a vent screw.
IMG_6379.jpg

It screws into the SIDE of the barrel.
IMG_2996.JPG

This does not have a vent liner but just a hole, the liner would screw in where that hole is after it was enlarged.

I was told this part was called a breech plug and that it needed to be removed for cleaning by the Gander Mtn guy. However, he was wrong and i broke my barrel. But ****, the only way to learn is by mistakes. I did however just order some books and a DVD. I really want to learn these guns because i really like them. Thanks for all your help so far! :bow: :thumbsup:

if this is the guy u bought the gun off of i wouldnt buy from them again, i would go and show them what happened and quite possibly with some excerpts from this forum about the lack of need to remove this plug.

Ok, so it was the breech plug you broke? If so then how much force were you using on it? If it was installed and used several times then it should have been a major pain to remove. If it broke super easily then perhaps that's why it was for sale in the first place. If it was super difficult to remove and you used gobs of force and it broke then you really botched that one and next time if something doesn't come off easily then your doing it wrong.

BTW this is an inline.
gun_parts_inline_muzzleloader.gif

I was unaware that new CVA Traditional Muzzleloaders were still available on the retail market. I looked on Gander Mountain site and they don't list them, just in-lines.

I think I'd be taking it back and wrapping it around his head. They should be held responsible, as they told you to remove the plug.

Something to think about.

Alex,

If it screws into the back of the barrel, it is the breech plug. If it screws into the side of the barrel (which is what the drawing looks like to me) then you broke the drum. Either sucks, one just sucks more than the other...

mckutzy said:
if this is the guy u bought the gun off of i wouldnt buy from them again, i would go and show them what happened and quite possibly with some excerpts from this forum about the lack of need to remove this plug.

Or perhaps try to find documentation from CVA about NOT REMOVING THE BREECHPLUG on your particular model of rifle, make some copies to take with you along with the broken barrel to educate the guy behind the counter who sold you the gun and also the store manager, be polite and ask if you could leave the copies with them to for the benefit of their other employees in the gun dept.

This is such :bull: How many other people just getting started in this trying to keep costs down and have fun are getting bogus information from people who (one would think) ought to know something.

The book & DVD is a good start, stick around on the forum, but ALSO get out with others in your area who've been shooting flinters for awhile learn from them and ask questions.

Best to ya!

FWIW, here's a link to the CVA online manual for their sidelock rifles. The cleaning section uses the breech in a bucket cleaning method. No mention of pulling the breechplug.

CVA sidelock manual

Im calling cva tomorrow about getting some work to the barrel done. Hopefully they will take care of me. I used my friends gun today and got a doe with it.. im really suprised considering this is my first ever time hunting with a muzzleloader but i hit it and it ran about 50yards. Ill post some pics of what i did to my gun tonight.
'
thanks!

:thumbsup: Congrats on the doe, Alex. You deserve some good after what you have been through this week. Give yourself a big pat on the back for the doe. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jac S. Muell
:grin: :grin:

My CVA Bobcat has the same button breechplug. They work the same way as the other hook breeches . They only look different. You don't have to remove them from barrel to clean. Just unhook and put end of barrel in warm and soap and pump the water up and down, rinse, oil. Dilly

I guess you could do like the mountain men and rawhide the barrel in the stock. I don't think CVA will be much help. When I called them they sent me to Deer Creek as they don't do any sidelocks anymore. Deer Creek ph no 765-525-6181 Dilly

Back