• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I can't wait!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Today I had a chance to check out an old hunting spot that I hadn't been to in years. I saw so many tracks that I am confident I will see deer tomorrow morning. I will take along my camera in hopes of getting a photo even if I don't take a deer with Ole Smoothie. So check back. I hope to post a picture of me hanging on the antlers of a big buck but regardless I would be happy to post a photo of some nice Vermont deer.

By the way, we have been blessed with about a foot of fresh snow over the past week so of course I am expecting the final 2 days of our muzzle season to be epic even if I don't see deer. We are expecting 16 degree temperatures tomorrow morning. Looks like I may need to wear my hunting frock over my wool shirt.
I'll keep you posted.
Mighty Oak
Founder of the Southern Vermont Primitive Biathlon[url] SVTPB.org[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you will need to wrap up real good to stay warm , Best of luck to you hope you get a nice one ! Good Luck & Good Shootin' :thumbsup:

Good luck. I have done a lot of hunting in cold weather, and have found that lots of layers are best. You can start to shed sweaters as the days warms up. Lets see lots of pics.

Mighty Oak,
Good luck for sure! With low or little
wind 16 degrees is just about my comfort zone.
Keep us posted.
snake-eyes:hatsoff:

Ah 16 degrees and snow. I surely do miss huntin in an area of the country with seasons. Good luck with your hunt and Merry Christmas. :thumbsup:

Hey Mighty,

Hope you did well today and had a good hunt. I've been out in the cold too so your not alone. We have about 10 or so degrees on ya so it was a heat wave down here!

Tomorrow is another day...of HUNTING!

Billy

We were out today also...cold this morning but warmed all the way up to 35 by this afternoon! All we saw were tree rats and some old tracks in the snow.

Well I saw plenty of deer but nothing with legal horns.
Vermont law requires 3 points or better even during muzzle season. Just so happens that I saw 2 spike horns and numerous does. Had a great time though.

In my usual effort to keep on the move but remain stealthy, I hunted along some rarely used railroad tracks. Being that the snow was so cold and crunchy, I quietly balanced myself on the rails while walking for several hours which allowed me to spot deer on the hill sides several times. In fact, at one point I kneeled down to put on another layer as the temps dropped and happened to look back behind me and saw a big spike horn walking right down the middle of the tracks directly towards me. I couldn't believe it considering I was up wind of him and in the process of putting on my wool shirt right in the middle of the tracks. Of course the battery on my camera went dead earlier in the day but it sure was a cool site regardless.

So as far as pictures go. I figured I would at least post a self portrait taken that day before the battery died. It at least give anyone interested a chance to see the fortunate conditions we had here in Southern Vermont during the last week of Muzzle season.

I hope you enjoy the photo. From here it's on to PA. for the Flintlock only season then onto training for the Primitive Biathlons here in the New England area. Anyone interested should go to[url] SVTPB.ORG[/url]. We also post a schedule for area biathlons as well.
Hope to see you there.
Mighty Oak.
vew071.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back