• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I did it! I did it!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on the Shenandoah. I too have one. It's a great shooter. I have at one friend that has one as well.

I'd be inclined to think that what ever they did it was to the touch hole. I say this because the one I have is a .36 cal. When they designed it they took the larger calibers as a base and scaled everything down including the channel between the breach and the false breach. The result was that when it was humid and cool getting it to shoot was a test of will. The channel being not much larger than the shaft of paper QTip without the fuzz condensed moisture and trapped powder before it could get to the breach. The only reason I bring this up is that when I took it to gun maker to remove the breach and enlarge the channel, we got a very rude surprise.

Apparently, the Traditions manufacturing process for the breach is to to profile the false breach and drill the channel then breach the barrel. At this point they drill the touch hole to the diameter of the head of the touch hole liner to a depth that created the cavity for the breach intersecting the channel. They then interference fit a plug into the touch hole that was as thick as the length of the threads of the liner and pressed into the hole the depth of the liner head. They then drilled and tapped the plug to take the liner.

This was discovered when when we tried to remove the liner and after literally forcing it out of the barrel we discovered the plug and the fact that it was not completely below the thread line between the breach and the barrel.

The gun maker is now in the process of drilling out the barrel and tapping it so that a new breach plug can be installed.

I hope to have it back soon. I can't wait to shoot it again. My first experience with it was on a hot dry day and on that day it was a nail driver. When it gets back all the moisture problems should be gone and I'll be able to shoot it any day and in any weather. :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Best of luck with yours. :thumbsup:

Hi Flinter,
The first thing you will need to do is go to[url] photobucket.com[/url] and open an account. Its free.
Then you can download pictures from your computer to the photobucket web site. From there you can send them to the forum.
There are other members that can give a more detailed description of how to do it.
I think Claude has a step by step guide also.
You can try a forum search.
Here is a picture from photobucket of my traditions tennessee flintlock rifle and pistol.
tennesseerifle005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I downloaded photobucket, but I haven't got around to taking any pictures yet. When I get them I'll try to post them. I might even include myself in the photos. I'll probably post them in the pictures forum.
Thank-You for your interest,
Fred

Back