• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I forgot my....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
Ever been out in the field or on the range and you reach in your possiable bag only to realize you forgot to pack something?

@#%!**! I forgot my.........what?

Mostly my bench rod....makes me pay close attention to the condition of the gun's ramrod...Hank

That's the advantage of packing light. If I have my gun, my horn, and my hunting bag I am set for about 40 rounds and clean-up thereafter regardless (including field dressing and dragging a deer out). I leave it all together because usually I'm not. My "target" gear consists of the plastic case my earplugs came in with six thumbtacks added, a roll of masking tape and a copier paper box to tape the targets to if I'm too lazy to reset the old wood frame when it's down.

My target range is a 10 minute walk up the hill behind my house. Makes you pack carefully and plan ahead if you have to carry on foot everything you'll be using. The only "bench" I ever use is something dry to sit on like a closed-cell foam pad or my tree-seat. Usually I shoot offhand - hunting conditions.

Worst case was when I got ready to place a cap on the nipple and all I had was spare flints. Now I have seperate shooting bags for flint or percussion.

I don't even own a "range rod" though I do have dedicated cleaning rods at home.

Powder...60 mile round trip wasted...then permanantly added a powder measure & Lb of Goex inside my range box and of course, have never forgotten to take my premeasured sets of powder charges since

I forget if I forgot anything??? :: :haha: Actually, last week I took the wrong balls to the range... :shocking: They were mine, but just the wrong caliber... I only had to make a two mile round trip to get the right balls however... :)

:: my range is only outside the back door (infact the door jam to the target is 35 yards... :: ), so I never forget anything. Now hunting is a different matter. I remember once getting out on the stand. Along comes a nice deer and I shoot. It turns and bolts. Looking into the hunting bag, there was no short starter, and I forgot my speed loaders at the house, so I had nothing to reload the rifle with. That's what happens when you try and get organized.

Lucky for me, a short walk up the trail found the deer dead, so a second shot was not necessary.

Happened to me last week. Went to shoot the Southern mt. rifle. Hadn't made a ramrod for it yet and forgot my range rod. Only about 4 miles home to get it but still a pita.

Range shooting.

Come home from work,,answer the phone messages,,cup of coffee, load everything quick and head out to the shooting range,,just to get those last few hours before sundown.

{forgot the gun!) :boohoo: been there,,done that, :boohoo:

everything else! No gun! Tell ya,,I was loaded fer bear! Just nothin ta load it in!

:redface:...."powder, black powder that is" :redface:....36 mile round trip :curse:............bob

At the range. I took my wife out for the first time to teach her how to shoot my flintlock (she loved it, by the way). The range was an hour away. I have a one-piece stainless steel rod I use at the range, to save wear on the rifle's wooden rod. But they have different thread sizes, so I have a set of tips for each. I brought the tips for the stainless rod, but forgot the rod itself. No one else at the range was shooting muzzleloaders that day, so I couldn't borrow any.

A two-hour round trip to go home and get the other rod. Made a great first impression on my wife... :redface:

Once during this past turkey season my friend grabbed up my gun to load in his truck. I was sure he had my bag too. NOT, we had to scurry back home 14 miles both ways.
We still got in the woods at first light.

I have always had one bag for each gun fully rigged. All I need to do is make sure, I'VE GOT THE RIGHT BAG! LOL!

Oh yea I seem to always forget my range rod!

Keep Her Dry fellers,
"The Chuckster"

Usually my range rod but had to turn around at the end of the street one morning 'cause there was no rifle in the car. :snore:

Back