• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I gotta quit going to gun shows

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredrader

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok,I picked up another 1851 today but this one is a .36cal :thumbsup: ..I also picked up a Rogers and Spencer and what looks like a .45cal Derringer Philadelphia..I got em all from the same guy and since everyone he showed them to pointed him to me since I am the only one in the place that buys black powder stuff I got all 3 for $120..Now once I figure out what a Rogers & Spencer is I will try it out..I love the .36 1851 though..It isn't blue it has a patina look to the cyl and brl making it look kinda old..It has the DGG in a circle on it so it is a EuroArms I guess..The Rogers & Spencer is EuroArms also having the DGG in a circle on it too..I don't see any makers marks on the Derringer but I haven't taken it apart yet.Both the revolvers are nice and tight and will clean up nice..Anyway,I figured I would post up the latest find..

Congratulations on a great find! You stole them irons, man! :hatsoff:

The Deringer looks like a CVA to me. Got one that looks just like it.

Great finds, especially that Rogers & Spencer, mine cost me a lot more than $150, and it's a great shooter. The originals were ordered by the army during the States War but arrived to late to be issued. The lot of them was sold to Bannerman as scrap who then sold them to the public at a few dollars each. They have a reputation for accuracy, and mine does very well with 30-35 grains FFFG and a .454 round ball

Great,I'll try that load and see how she does..
I couldn't believe the guy wanted $50 each for the revolvers and $25 for the derringer but I offered $120 for all 3 and he took it..I just had to be the best haggler :rotf:

WOW....What a deal.....IT'S hard to believe that there are sellers out there that dont have the slightest idea of what thier Black powder arms are worth...but I sure guess your'e good at finding them!

Yea,The guy said he bought them off his buddy that needed some money and they had been wall hangers for years..I beleive him because they had many years worth of dust in them..

Well heck, to show how big my heart is, i will give you $120 for The R&S and then you won't be out any money for the other 2. :grin:

Your alright,I don't care what the other guys say about ya..Ah,I will shoot em all and see how they do and just hang em up with the rest of em..
I do need to figure out what size ball I need for the .36cal 1851..I measured the cyl and it was like .370..I got some .375 balls but I think they will be too small.. :idunno:

Rock Island said:
Great finds, especially that Rogers & Spencer, mine cost me a lot more than $150, and it's a great shooter. The originals were ordered by the army during the States War but arrived to late to be issued. The lot of them was sold to Bannerman as scrap who then sold them to the public at a few dollars each. They have a reputation for accuracy, and mine does very well with 30-35 grains FFFG and a .454 round ball
Your right trhat they didn't make it to the war, but. About 800 of the 5800 ended up in private hands and a couple have been documented as being used in the war. They probably were either private purchase or given as a "presentation gun" by family or friends.
In 2007 I did some research on the web (since I just bought one) to see if any made it to the "Great Unpleasentness" and found on the Antique Arms, Inc. site that one had been i.d. as used during the war. by E. Lambert Volunteer 30th Mass. etched into the inside of the left grip. He enlisted at the age of 16 and was the units drummer throughout the war. His gun was early production with a 3 digit serial number in the 400 range.
There are several pictures of this pistol showing the inside of the grips along with the pistol and documentation.
I downloaded the info, since any use in a civil war event if questioned you need the documentation or provenance to back up your use of an unusal weapon, or material.
Oh and by the way thats where I puchased my R&S also-at a gun show! but I think I got tooken I paid 125 bucks for mine by itself :rotf:.
Well thats where I am headed in about a 1/2 hour-another gun show. You neverr know what you can find there.

Rebel, Ya beat me to it!

And Fred, if you find something you don't want, I know of a good home for it....... :haha: :)

Dave

smokin .50 said:
Rebel, Ya beat me to it!

And Fred, if you find something you don't want, I know of a good home for it....... :haha: :)

Dave
I'll hook ya up Dave :thumbsup:

Acorn Mush said:
Congratulations on a great find! You stole them irons, man! :hatsoff:

The Deringer looks like a CVA to me. Got one that looks just like it.
I got a similar derringer back in the 70s as a kit from Dixie. Last year I got another that was stamped on the barrel "Jukar" so guess that is a CVA too.

Fred, you might try .380 balls in the .36. That's what I have to use in mine. The .375 ball is not tight enough, and does not stay seated, causing erratic groups. Went to the .380 and it tightened right up. :thumbsup: Sounds like you got another great deal. :grin:

Hope this helps, see ya, Jim/OH :hatsoff:

Wish I could find a deal like that, Last gun show I went to I found one like I've been looking for, 36 cal. brass frame with a round barrel. just like the southern made Gunnison and Griswold, it was used and the guy had $250 on it. I just kept on walking and didn't even give it a second look. When I came back down that aisle 2 guys were there arguing with the old man about how cheap cabelas sells there brass frame revolvers for. I didn't slow down on that pass either.

Chad

I hear ya,I pull the cabela's price thing on em myself when they want to much for em but I just make em an offer and tell em what I can get a new one for at cabela's and thank em and walk away..Then if they come back and try to sell it to me again for less than they wanted the first time I just drop my offer $25-$50 less than I offered the first time and either they take it or leave mad.. :wink:

I tried to remove the nipples when I cleaned it up and could only remove 3 of them..I messed up my petersolli revolver nipple wrench trying to get the stuck ones out even after using a propane torch to head em up.. :cursing:
I ordered an assortment of revolver nipple wrenches Sunday from 3 or 4 different suppliers and I emptied a whole spray can of PB Blaster into a mason jar and put the cylinder in it and put the lid on it Monday and I will let it soak all week and try to remove them once the wrenches arrive..
They WILL come out even if I have to use the Cutting torch to heat em up cherry red. :shocked2:

Back