• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I have 2 Ray Catron mule ear locks.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JD
oh yeah....I had 4 originals in my hands last time in Kentucky~ the nicest one was a capper from around 1840's in my guess....but mom thought it was a 'childs' rifle!.....but I told her that the general person was way smaller than today!
In the area around mom's town...Fort Harrod to name one...there is lots of clothes and furniture etc and it ALL is way to small for my 6'-0" 185# frame!!!
When i held the rifle I was talking about....it felt like a small 22 boys rifle~ and it was thin...stock was about 2" thick,...the sides were like 1/8" or less along the barrel...and was split in a couple areas....
kinda a 'v'shape on the forearm....not a 'u' shape~oct barrel maybe 36-40cal 36" long....

I promise, I WILL make the Fordney 'paris thin'....just to see if I can....... :slap:

I keep hearing that song~"The thin police are taking me away...the thin police are taking me away"....... :rotf:

Captjoel said:
My last rifle is an unsigned piece possibly made by S. Morrison. I belive it is from the Wilkes Barr PA area.
GraveofJohnShell005.jpg

Capt. Joel could you post another picture of this gun showing the complete lock? It looks similiar to the style of lock I built a few years ago. Kinda like to see it better. Thanks!

Captjoel,

I believe Samuel Morrison worked in Milton, Northumberland County, PA. There are 3 of his rifles in the ALR Virtual Museum and Library, two of which have this pierced style patch box.

He apparently really liked to use the mules-ear style lock.

Fine rifle. Enjoy, J.D.

Here you go ranger, I had tried to post this picture the other day when I put up the others but photobucket kind of went hay wire. Looks like they are back to normal now.
GraveofJohnShell003.jpg

Thank you Sir! That's the same design as mine except it appears that the sear spring on the one pictured is external. Mine is mounted inside. (Pictured elsewhere on the Forum). I copied it from one a friend had made (his was left-handed) based on a rifle in Pennsylvania. I built a large lock using a M1861 lockplate for a pattern for my plate. The length of the entire hammer is 5 inches. Pretty massive lock, but very fast. The lock you picture is very much like the one I copied of course except for the sear spring. Thanks again!

I know this is a really old thread, but if any of you have any of Ray Catron's rifles or locks/triggers around, I would be very interested in purchasing them. I am Ray's great-nephew and spent a LOT of time in his shop as a young kid. I have my rifle that he built when I was about 10 years old, my (deceased) father's rifle, and one of my cousin's rifles. I know they aren't "famous" and worth a lot, but they mean a lot to me.

Latest posts

Back