• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I haven't had a very good deer season........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protrucker

45 Cal.
Reaction score
.....until this Thursday.

I never even squeezed the trigger during Pennsylvania's regular firearms season.

It's now Pennsylvania's flintlock season.
I found a spot in the woods for the afternoon sit. At about 3:25, I saw movement out in front of me up thru some hemlock bottoms. It was traveling from left to right. Then it turned toward me. When it came out of the hemlocks I could see that it was a doe. I had two doe tags to fill, so I waited until she was about 15 yards away & I squeezed the trigger. She bounded once to the left & then cart-wheeled back to the right where she went down in a heap. I stood up, reloaded and checked the time. It was 3:31..... Plenty of legal hunting time left yet & I still had a buck tag & another doe tag left, so I sat back down. Several minutes later, I saw movement up in the hemlock bottoms again. Another deer was coming. This time, when it cleared the hemlocks, I saw antlers. The buck started toward me like the doe had, but then he turned to my right. He was going around me at about 40 yards out. I made a noise to stop him. He paused, but not long enough for me to get a shot off. I made the noise again & he stopped again. This time I was able to make the shot. The buck turned & started trotting away. I thought that I had missed. Then he stumbled & disappeared in the distance. I reloaded & went to look for sign of a hit. It didn't take long to find a good blood trail. I cautiously followed the blood trail, half expecting to jump him up. About 60 to 70 yards later, I found the buck piled up between two down trees.
Two deer down in ten minutes. I Had a Good Day Thursday. I'm happy! :grin:

I was going to post a picture of the buck, but I'm having difficulty with my computer right now.

Wow, Now that would be a good one for the NY times! Sounds like you should grab a Lottery ticket to top off the end of a great year. Great job. Can't wait for the pics.

Thanks everyone.

Here's the pic's:
258plqo.jpg
29xyfk9.jpg

I got in a hurry to get both deer gutted & out to the truck before dark & didn't even think to get a pic with my gun in it or with both deer together. I wish that I had.

smo said:
Congrats BMM :thumbsup: Now the work begins :grin:
It took until almost 10:00 pm, but I got them home & both of them skinned, quartered & in a refrigerator before I quit for the night.

I have to add that after I shot the doe & settled back down to wait for the next one, I said a prayer of thanks & also said in that prayer that it would really be great if I could get a nice buck too. I'm still amazed that my prayer was answered so quickly!

Wow! Taking em two at a time! I think you're having a great deer season. Congrats! :thumbsup:

Double Awesome!!!!..X2 :shocked2: :shocked2:
You paid your dues and made the right moves... :bow: :bow:
Congrats....love the persistence pay's happy endings! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Back straps a deer tallow.... that should tide you over winter!
Great shooting!Twice!
How sweet it is!

Persistance pays off. Sounds like a pretty good end to the year.

Congratulations.

Back