• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I need some help on this fowler...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had this little gem brought over tonight. It appears to me to be a early? Late percussion? New England style fowler? It has a nice Ketland marked lock still in very good working order. The top barrel flat has what looks like LONDON on it with a couple other proof marks. The barrel is 43" long and appears to be .20ga. It has what appears to be an inletted front sight similar to those that were done here in New England. I can't weigh this atm but I don't think it weighs 6 lbs! Its a dandy thin and light gun. At some point the stock was fixed with a very nice splice. I'd very much like to find any info at all on this gun. :thumbsup:

DSCF4015.JPG

DSCF4016.JPG

DSCF4017.JPG

DSCF4018.JPG

DSCF4019.JPG

DSCF4021.JPG

DSCF4022.JPG

DSCF4023.JPG

DSCF4024.JPG

DSCF4025.JPG

DSCF4026.JPG

DSCF4027.JPG

DSCF4028.JPG

DSCF4030.JPG

DSCF4032.JPG

DSCF4033.JPG

Theres a proof that has similaritys but the dates are all wrong. :hmm:

1868-1925Birminghamdefinitive black powder proof for shotgun

My best guess on proofs is post 1813 private birmingham'
I find the fish belly to be interesting, usually you'd excepct to se a slight to moderate concave curve on the bottom side of the buttstock for a CT area gun.. gun. Maybe a little club butt from MAss. influence going on there

Nice find! Actually it's a B and a C, 1813 Birmingham proofmark. The crossed scepters was used for many years by "a leading gunmaker of Ketland" (Gerhard Wirnsberger quote).

Swampy, you need to PM JV Puelo about this gun, He's very good with these NE guns and knows his brit proofs. In fact he just wrote an article for man at arms magazine on british/ketland proofs.

Owner doesn't want to part with it. I actually still have it here, he'll get it eventually. But now he knows more about it than he did...

Great reference pics, by the way!

Excuse my ignorance - I am a ML firearm "newbie" - but can you explain why this barrel does not have the "wedding band" detail at the octagonal to round barrel transition? Was this simply a stylistic flair, that added expense to a barrel?

Adam

:hmm: What reading I've done seems to suggest that the wedding band was a stylistic addition. As to cost I don't believe it was extra, but most of the military barrels transitioned like this one because I would assume it was less time consuming to produce and the wedding band doesn't add any strength. :idunno:
.......anybody got any hard evidence? I'm kinda cirious about this myself.......

Back