• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I stuck my wire brush.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a wire looped brush (tornado brush) between each shot and nothing else- no cleaning patch between shots. After a shot the residue is dry and is easily removed in this manner. Of course I use a lubed patch & ball combo and this cleans out the bore a little more when seating the ball. The rifles I shoot have the patent breech in them and I found that running a wet cleaning patch down the bore after each shot drives the smooze into the patent chamber and this leads to more problems. By "dry cleaning " the bore out with the brush, the "smooze" either come out with the brush, or by turning the rifle upside down and a tap on the side of the barrel more stuff drops out in chunks.

When you use a wet patch to clean between shots, are you using the same amount of solvent/same patch wetness each time? Is the bore dry after you run a patch down or do you run drying patch down after? The theme here is to being consistant in how you clean the barrel after each shot. By using a brush, I think I'm cleaning all of the residue out except for a little amount of surface soot. And that amount of soot left is pretty consistant shot to shot. Also,and i'm cleaning the patent area out with each pass of the brush.

I've been doing this for 1000's of shots and have not had any problems due to a dirty bore, nor lost brushes in the bore (again I using the wire looped kind that don't grip the bore like a regular wire brush). I'm using this method on a .35 & .50 cal rifles.

Of course, after shooting I clean my rifle like you all do.

Try it before you "dis " it.

regards,
Booner

Hello,

I personally use a .45 brush in my .50. And a .357 brush in my .45 1911, but that's not for here.

Point is, I always use one caliber down.

I wrap it in a nice cotton patch. It will scrub, but not get stuck. I prefer this to swabs because swabs get dirty. I can just throw out the patches.

Josh

Thanks for the reply I just never use a brush I will try it to see if I can speed my cleaning up a bit

See there is the problem, rifling with corners. My favorite guns' barrels don't have corners in the rifling.

Back