• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ideas help or opinions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjschieber

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Two barrels just came into my possession from a friend the best way free. One is a 54 cal 36” long rifled the other is a 62 cal 42” long smooth bore. They both are Green Mountain with a very little surface rust, which can be cleaned off with steel wool. I am on a fixed income and money is a big thing right now. I have a Lyman Great Plains in left-hand 50 cal that I would like to put them on. I just got it this year it was used but is in great shape. Now the fly in the buttermilk is that they are 1” across the flats and the LGP is 15/16”. It seems like a simple matter to shave the stock down and drop them in for little or no cost. Then I would have a rifle for big game and a smoothie for small game. In the past however some of my simple ideas were not that good some were even down right stupid if you can believe that. Is 42” too much for the stock? Would it be safe to remove that much wood? Are there any other things I should be looking at? I have seen many a fine rifle on this site that were built by the members here. I know many of you know more about building guns than I could ever learn so your ideas, help and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Bill

Yes, you will run into several problems. For one, you say your GPR is a lefty. You can get new breech plugs from TOTW or others which will fit a GPR but in right hand only. You don't say if your rifle is flint or percussion. You could adapt a right hand flint to left hand but not so easy in percussion.
Also, you'll notice that the lock sets tight against the side of the barrel. A 1/16" thicker barrel would space the lock out 1/32" from its' present location and thus stand "proud" of the inlet.
In addition to opening the barrel channel 1/32" on both sides you'd also have to deepen it by 1/32 and that would still leave the top flat standing 1/32 above the tang.
Your inlet for the barrel key's would not work and there may be other problems I've not thought of. All in all, nothing is impossible but there are lots of things not worthwhile. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but I'd say this is one of those things.

Your best financial return would be to sell off the barrels and apply your new found dollars to the rifle of your choice without compromise.
Only my most humble opinion, which is not worth much.....of which the wife reminds me quite often.

Best Regards
Old Ford

The best thing to do, would be sell everything but the 42" .62 and have an accomplished builder make you a nice flintlock.

Back