• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Identification help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racinbob

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm new here and trying to help a friend identify a large number of inherited guns. I was going to do it one group at a time but I can't figure out how to post pictures individually so here's the One Drive link:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?re...05&authkey=!AGTbHHPfO2LLQFs&ithint=folder,JPG

I know it would be helpful if I had better pictures of the markings but this is all I have right now. Any advice on how I should do this would be appreciated. I may be in the wrong topic as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
The '63 Springfield has been extensively modified. Patchbox added, wrong barrel bands, nose cap missing , wrong ramrod, molding around the lock and on the opposite side of the stock sanded off, washers under lock screws missing, looks to be a trapdoor trigger and and carbine trigger guard which may be on backwards, changed rear sight, top rear of barrel and tang ground down, stock spliced under rear band (which is on upside down)? Is that a filler piece under the rear lock screw? If so it may have been a trapdoor carbine stock which would explain the splice and the lack of a molding around the lock as well as the origin of the trigger and guard bow. The rear band may be a trapdoor band too. The stock from the band forward and the front band look to be from a much later military rifle. I'm afraid there isn't much value there even for parts. As you said more photos of each individual gun would be a big help though what you did provide were good.

The Springfield is interesting,it's modifications although they may detract from "original value" may be an attribute for a different market, especially if the modifications were done in the period.

The shotgun appears to be the average double one would commonly find...shooters can be had for as little as $300 or so. Wall hangers $100. Sometimes these can be very valuable like those from Greener or other high end makers but most fall into the above.

The rifles are IMHO above average in period construction and in present condition. These need to be evaluated and appraised by someone who knows these types of rifles. Being signed is a plus as a search may can reveal the the maker.

I would try to contact the Kentucky Rifle Association. They may be able to help you find an appraiser in your area that knows these types of rifles.

Thanks guys. I knew it would be best to take pictures and research them one by one. It's just too confusing with them all grouped together. I'm going to pass the information on to the owner and explain this. I appreciate the suggestion of contacting the Kentucky Rifle Association and will definitely do that.

Back