• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Identify English flintlock pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wurzburger

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Can anyone cite sources to historically place and identify an English flintlock pistol. Need info on proof marks and English gunsmiths. Was told this pistol dates to around 1780 and was made by Abraham Weston.

The lock has the name "Weston" engraved on it with the letter "A" above. The barrel measures 8 inches and is .62cal. Marks on barrel: "XII", crown over "10"?, crown over "14", "V", "T".

Who was Weston and where did he work?

Which reference books would be best for a beginner's research library on antique English handguns?

Squire Robin to the rescue?

This is exciting!

Abraham Weston,Lewes,Sussex/Great Britain. Working 1783-1826. 1823-1826 at Market Str.
I hope Squire Robin can explain the marks.
ARILAR :thumbsup:

Thank you, Arilar, for adding to my sketchy info. on gunsmith Weston. How did you find it so FAST? If I may ask, which publication did you find it in? Which book, or books, would you recommend to a beginning collector? Have you found any websites helpful in researching gunsmiths?

Thanks again.

Mugwump
:master:

I quote Squire Robin: "no trick in this". I use the books 1-3 by Heer called "Der Neue St

I believe my German is still good enough to get the info I need from Heer's work. Sounds like I may find some proof marks as well.

Appreciate your help.

Mugwump

Back