• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

If you are going to be stupid, you gotta be tough

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finished putting together a new Kibler fowler a week or so ago. I pulled it out today to put a coat of wax on it. I leaned it up against my work bench ( it has a notch in it that I didn’t use) turned my back and it fell over. I have a big padded rug but it didn’t help . For a minute I was crushed. After I quit kicking myself I pulled the pins and used a tooth pick to work gorilla clear glue into the split. I clamped it back together and put the pins back in it. At least the crack will be under the ram rod.

Attachments

• IMG_0655.jpeg
    IMG_0655.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0656.jpeg
    IMG_0656.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Ahhh heck my first build a TN mt rifle I measured wrong and took out to much wood from butt plate on top edge of stock. . Luckily I was taking a class to do it with local builder. Options move but plat forward 3/8" and lose it on LOP (not option I'm 6'6") or option 2. I used a piece of copper plate and made a spacer. To make it look like it was done on purpose I added a copper band in barrel near muzzle, and drilled holes in trigger guard and filled back in with cooper to make it look like copper rivets. made fake copper rivets in muzzle cap. Then to finish it off added a decent sized cooper star on cheek well after I had a big dent/gouge in wood from where I dropped it placing it in vice. With the dark stain or curly maple and the browned steel the aged cooper really looks like it belongs there. Of course it was all done to help cover up mistakes made. Most people thought I was trying to be creative. Technically I was being creative at hiding ohhh craps.

Last edited:
Your not a genuine craftsman , 'til you learn how to fix your mistakes. Some 35 yrs. ago , a friend got a scratch built Jager rifle from me. He and some friends , were driving deer in the late season Pa. flintlock deer season. The day was very icy , and he said he made it to within feet of the truck and did an upside down aerial flip on the road pavement, landing on the stock of his Jager rifle. He was distressed when he brought m/ler to me for repair of the nearly "ell" shaped wrist A month later I called him to come by and examine his repaired stock. He couldn't believe the stock was fixed , and the repair was near invisible. I got lucky. Once the brown dyed epoxie was applied , the stock wood fibers hinged back into place. Application of a long # 10 drywall screw down through the inside of the wrist from the inside of the barrel tang inlet , again w/ more Epoxie fixed the smashed wrist in place permanently. A refinish job hid the mess from view. Again , I got lucky , and talked to the owner last week , and all is well w/ the Jager stock.

When I built my Leman, I was going to properly rivet the front cap to the stock. After filing it and getting the nose cap to fit, I began to drill the hole for the rivet. Of course, when the drill bit broke through, it cracked the thin piece of wood that was to hold it to the stock. So, I drilled two small holes, accraglassed in two small pins and fixed the blowout.

Then instead of doing the HC correct rivet, I just accraglassed the piece to the wood. It's been fine since 2018.

You will be the only person who knows about that crack unless you tell them.
Tooooo late for that! 🤣

I sympathize. Did the same thing and used SG which worked fine but OTOH I have quite a bit of experience with SG and understand it's nature. If done wrong it can make things worse.

I finished putting together a new Kibler fowler a week or so ago. I pulled it out today to put a coat of wax on it. I leaned it up against my work bench ( it has a notch in it that I didn’t use) turned my back and it fell over. I have a big padded rug but it didn’t help . For a minute I was crushed. After I quit kicking myself I pulled the pins and used a tooth pick to work gorilla clear glue into the split. I clamped it back together and put the pins back in it. At least the crack will be under the ram rod.
I would add a brass nose band for extra strength.

Latest posts

Back