• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

If you are sick, do you still go out and hunt?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

50 Cal.
Reaction score
As I post this question I am feeling somewhat horrible. It must be a bad head cold or some other illness like it. Needless to say I called in sick for work but I thought back a bit in the past when I was sick and still went out into the woods. I know it wasn't fun but I sort of toughed it out.Sooo..

When you're sick with something such as a cold do you stray home or go out anyways?

Used to, I've been known to go and sit on stand with a fever...but not no more. Lol, had to drop a snot rag to shoot a buck once. Made so much noise that day coughing and clearing my nose I thought I was crazy for being out there and surely wouldn't see anything. :youcrazy:

Still it takes a lot to keep me from going out but I don't go in situations I once did.

If your sick you don't go to work huntings not work. If I had my leg in a cast I'd still go just paint cast camo.

I stay away and get well. I don't want to relate hunting with feeling bad and I want to get feeling well as soon as possible.

I shot a deer once while I had the flu... It about killed me field dressing it and skinning it out. Not sure if I would do it again or not.

I went to the Doc once because of tonsilitus. he put me on anti biotics. I asked him should i go hunting? His reply was" by all means go hunting" I did get aa deer. My Doc loves to hunt also.
Shoe

bigbore442001 said:
As I post this question I am feeling somewhat horrible. It must be a bad head cold or some other illness like it. Needless to say I called in sick for work but I thought back a bit in the past when I was sick and still went out into the woods. I know it wasn't fun but I sort of toughed it out.Sooo..

When you're sick with something such as a cold do you stray home or go out anyways?

I guess it would depend on how much time you have to waste away...I only get the 7 to 10 days a year (time off coinciding with seasons) so unless i just barfed up a kidney or a lung Im going hunting. I can be home sick the whole rest of the year.

Yeah thats the thing. It was a different place here 30 years ago, no deer to speak of and everybody traveled north to hunt deer for one or two weeks out of the entire year. You spend a lot of money to hunt a short time in Vermont or Maine, you get out of bed. Now, here with deer in the back yard and able to hunt from Oct 1 into Jan, you don't push your self so much.

I don't hunt sick. Depending on where or what you hunt it might put your life in danger.
Stay home, get well, go hunting later.

HD

I had a chance to hunt with a guy who wouldn't let a kidney stone (!!!) slow him down. THAT'S a real dedicated hunters. :hatsoff:

-Ray

Depends on how sick i really am. I will hunt as long as I think I want put myself or others in danger from not being able to concentrate.

Not that I hunt much but I would say no because I know I will get worse than if I stayed home. :surrender:

You betcha. Went out last year bowhunting on October 15th after knee surgery in September. (Second time I ever used a tree-stand).

I've hunted with a fever in snow and rain. We only got three weeks (plus one for muzzleloading) and there are no excuses. Now we get nine days for m/l. Yippee.

My wife took a button buck while in a full leg cast one opening day (after a motorcycle accident on her own bike - she's s REAL trooper). While I was dressing her deer she yelled "There's a buck watching us!" and I was able to grab my pump slug gun and roll the six-point with one shot from 40 yards as he turned to run. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Then I had to get two deer out plus two guns and a woman on crutches! Whew! Barbed wire fences took 15 minutes, easy. :-D

Came home from Allegheny Hospital , had a 5 Bypass Operation. Missed Buck Season and figured by Da#$ am I going to miss Doe Season. This was back in `98 when the three day season was in. Anyhow, yeah the Wifey begged me not to go , but loaded my .357 Blackhawk up and somehow almost made it up to my Treestand. I really don`t know how I made it back to the House!! Don`t know which hurt worse, my Chest or the Butt chewin` I got????

I agree it depends on how sick I am. If it is just a cold I would go. Just had a bout of bronchitis that put me in the ER. That sucked to the point where I didn't want to do anything. I did however go to the range a few days before I went to visit the hospital, that probably didn't help matters.

It depends on the level of discomfort and the current weather conditions, I usually get up at the normal time and make the call then, I guess it probably runs 50/50 If some friends are depending on me for access to hunting property or a ride I will make an extra effort sometimes just driving the gullies/beating the brush to push deer out to them, did that once and took a nice 3x4 that tried to slip around me, I could not hear a thing with a bad head cold but just barely caught some movement at the extreme periphial and back tracked a bit and waited and caught him trying to put the sneak on me and took him with a .445 ball at 40 yds, it was the next to last day of the season and no deer were seen the following day( I stayed home and my partners hunted on timber company land)so all three of us at least had 1/3 of a deer in the freezer that year.

Back