• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

If You only had one flintlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weum817

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a friend wanting to buy his first flintlock, he asked me what caliber I recommended.
He will hunt deer primarily, and maybe an occasional squirrel.
If you only had one, what caliber would it be?

.54 will still kill a Squirrel with a head shot. Since he likes to Deer hunt it gets my vote.

Larry

I live in an area with no minimum caliber (black powder) for Deer.

I now hunt with a 38 (have hunted with 40, 45, 50 and 54 in the past).

But since many areas have a "minimum", so 40 some 45, I would go with the minimum.

Hunting with a "small bore" does add challenges to the hunt and you have to be a more disciplined hunter.

But if you can have only one rifle, those are the limitations you have to live with.

I'd go with either a 20 gauge or maybe even a 24 gauge smoothbored gun. Loaded with shot for small game & round ball for the big stuff.

I haven't owned a .45 in 30+ years. But if I knew I wasn't gonna get more I guess it would be a .45, maybe. I've used my .40 on whitetail successfully. Sold my .50 flinter and now just a .40 and a .54. Just decide on primary use and start buying parts for the other.

Keb said:
I'd go with either a 20 gauge or maybe even a 24 gauge smoothbored gun. Loaded with shot for small game & round ball for the big stuff.

:metoo:
:haha: Kinda funny tho... I own several more than one flintlock, rifled and smooth, but I don't own either one of those. :surrender: I guess I need to buy a couple more flintlocks.

Yes you do. I would probably go for either a 20 or 16 gauge depending on how big of game would be involved.

I too would vote for a 20 gage smoothie. Also in them rifled guns, I would vote for a .45 or .50, unless you decided to take it west to go after elk. A .45prb on top of 60 grains 3f will put paid on any deer your likely to see in the east. It will do black bear, you may want a .50 if hog be in your sights. A .62 smoothie will do any thing your likely to hunt from thumper to bulwinkel. I don't think I would ever go after Grizz or Brown with any muzzleloader if I didn't have something as a meaner backup.

weum817 said:
Any caliber is legal.

Yes, any caliber in either black powder or center fire (no rimfires regardless of caliber).

So if you wanted to use a 20 caliber black powder gun, while woefully inadequate by just about anyones standards, it would be "legal".

Spikebuck said:
Jethro224 said:
Keb said:

:metoo:

Another vote for the 20 or 24 GA smoothie.
Same here!

... kind of ironic that this was posted in the Flintlock Rifles forum :surrender:

If I had only one flintlock rifle it would be . . . and is . . . a .54

85 gr for deer and I can use half that for squirrel or bunny if I choose.

But happily I can have a second flintlock and that's a smoothbore. Good thing we don't have to live in hypotheticals.

The key to the answer is "occasional " squirrel. I'd go with a. 50 Kentucky rifle or Sthn mountain rifle, depending on terrain, build of shooter, personal taste.

Back