• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Illinois Squirrel Season Opener Tomorrow

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luieb45

54 Cal.
Reaction score
So... who all's goin squirrel hunting tomorrow? I doubt too many because a lot of people think I'm crazy for squirrel hunting in August because of the heat but it beats sitting at home. I'll be using my .50 traditions kentucky caplock. Even though I had my doubts about the gun last weekend due to the leak but traditions told me it's fine and I got the ok from fellow members so I'm taking the rifle. Since I don't get my license until Saturday I can't go until afternoon so I'm not sure how the squirrels will be. Good luck to whoever else who's going hunting tomorrow. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Here in Pa. we have to wait until the middle of October :cursing: but I'll be thinking of ya. Good luck and be safe. Let us know how you make out.
Vern

Dang. I can't believe I forgot tomorrow was the squirrel opener. :redface:
I prolly won't get out, but ya never know.

Good luck to ya. :hatsoff:

http://s890.photobucket.com/albums/ac102/luieb45/?action=view&current=LucasSquirrel.jpg

Smoked this squirrel this afternoon after I had missed a squirrel at 40 yards climbing up a tree. This one I heard chattering about 60 yards away then I kept answering back to it with my squirrel call then I slowly snuck over to where the squirrel was and got a shot. I really wish I had gotten a muzzleloading shotgun earlier this year because it's hard to see the squirrels in the thick cover. [img]http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac102/luieb45/LucasSquirrel.jpg

Also, I thought I might add my load data. I used 35 grains of 3f black powder, .017 cotton drill patch and .490 hornady ball. And this was the first squirrel I've killed with a muzzleloader.

At my grandpa's farm where I hunt it is only fox squirrels. But on the Mississippi River and in the interior of the county there are areas where grey squirrels are. But they aren't everywhere just certain areas because at my house I live less than a mile from the river and there is nothing but fox squirrels. Then 400 yards away at the golf course I've seen a couple of grey squirrels when I was golfing. But then a few miles north of that I squirrel hunted an area with my dad and there were a bunch of grey squirrels. I think I might get to hunt a few of those because I remember my uncle talking about a having a bunch of grey squirrels on his farm that he wants rid of.

luie b said:
At my grandpa's farm where I hunt it is only fox squirrels. But on the Mississippi River and in the interior of the county there are areas where grey squirrels are. But they aren't everywhere just certain areas because at my house I live less than a mile from the river and there is nothing but fox squirrels. Then 400 yards away at the golf course I've seen a couple of grey squirrels when I was golfing. But then a few miles north of that I squirrel hunted an area with my dad and there were a bunch of grey squirrels. I think I might get to hunt a few of those because I remember my uncle talking about a having a bunch of grey squirrels on his farm that he wants rid of.

I prefer the fox squirrels over the greys. They are a little less weary and will often come out of hiding only 10 minutes after they spot you. Also, they can be a full pound heavier than their gray counterparts.

Congrats on your first squirrel. I'll be getting out soon myself. I know what you mean about the August woods. You were fortunate to get that shot. The rifle doesn't really come in to it's own until around October.

im lookin forward to being able to do this. how do you guys keep from blowing small game like squirrels and rabbits to pieces with the fiftys?

Reduced loads for larger calibers and head shots. I use a .36 and still try to take headshots.

I hadn't found this post before. I was out scouting an area but it was too hot for me (these past weeks have been too hot for me, and I have a couple trees dropping leaves now as they are burning up) to go out.

However, if your Gramps or you want help in getting rid of squirrels, I will gladly volunteer.

The Doc is out now. :v

I definitely don't try getting rid of squirrels but I actually try managing them for a good population. I never take more than I need so I only take one every time I go and I try not to take them from the same draw every time I rotate which draws I hunt. I've only hunted once this year with the muzzy which was on Aug. 1 like the picture showed but I've taken 2 more last week when I went on Tuesday and Friday but that was with a .22. Squirrel hunting this time of year is easier in the morning which I've been getting to enjoy since I got my license.

Back