• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I'm off to find some deer.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmww

70 Cal.
Reaction score
My 13 year old daughter and I are off in a few hours to head east of the Mountains to hunt some white tails. It opens and Sat. but we want to do some scouting first. We both drew extra doe tags so hopefully we will be able to fill all the tags. She still needs to baptize her Underhammer. She will be shooting a .50 cal RB and I'll be baptizing my .62 Underhammer using RB also.

My second Underhammer with the brass action and rear peep sight made by John Taylor will also be used. I'm going to see how the .45 barrel and maxi-balls will do on a doe. I'm going to take a should shot with it. Hopefully the next time I post I'll have a good story and some meat! :grin:

Watcher topknot hunting with that young daughter! :wink:

They grow up thinking hunting is a regular part of life, and they know there are lots of neat guns in dad's gun safe. And darned if they can't shoot and hunt circles around their eventual husband!

Only thing better is a granddaughter coming down the pike behind your daughter someday, with a mom that thinks grandpa is the right one to teach the youngun gun safety, marksmanship and hunting.

Got me one of those daughters that grew up hunting. She may have a passel of my guns now, but I'll trade em all for the joy that 9 year old granddaughter brings me when we we're shooting together.

Enjoy the heck out of your hunt, and continue building the future! :hatsoff:

I keep thinking about your hunt and the conditions, and I suddenly recalled experiences from approximately your area in the 1970's that might add to your bag. This was Columbia blacktail rather than whitetail, but the lesson might hold.

For a number of years we hunted the Bogus burn southwest of Ashland, coming at it from the California side of the border out of Hilt. The area we were in featured alfalfa fields down low, and the deer spent their nights feeding there, then moved back uphill into the brush and timber for the day. And it was warm.

The thing was, they mostly left the fields at night, and by daylight they were back a ways from the edge of the brush and timber. Over the years we learned that they'd move out of the fields pretty quick as daylight grew, but once they were in the brushline they'd slow down, but were more cautious.

We finally sorted the puzzle by staging ourselves before daylight about a quarter mile back into the brush, rather than right on the edge of the fields. Sure saw a lot more deer that way. And they were coming to us, rather than forcing us to track them down. In retrospect, it would have been a good setup for a blind.

Thanks guys! Your well wishes worked out and also your suggestions. I spent the first two days before the hunt scouting and found several groups of deer that would routinely come off the fields and go onto the fields like clock work.

We set up near an old hay barn and used the bails to set up a blind. I took two deer for my meat hunt. The first was sort of a mistake. My daughter shot at it and it had all the indications of a hit. When it didn't go down and wandered in close I shot it because I didn't want to risk a wounded deer. It was a yearling. :cursing: I felt it ethical to shoot it rather than possibly leave it. Turns out my it was wearing a bullet proof vest for my daughter's shot. It was no match for the .62. (See photos in Traditional hunting section.)

Back