• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I'm Psyched!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protrucker

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I just got back from the Northeastern Outdoor Sports Show in Syracuse, NY. I booked a caribou hunt for this fall. :applause:
I'm going to be there September 13-19 and plan to use my .54 flinter & a patched round ball for at least my first tag. My friend that is going with me is going to think that I'm nuts, :youcrazy: but I'd like to go dressed as P/C as I can. Waterproof footwear is going to be the worst problem though & I might have to give in on that one. :redface:

I would love to take my son on one of those trips. Soooo.....what's the damages????

We will drive to Montreal & get on a jet to fly to Caniapiscau. Then we'll fly in a bush/float plane in to the camp.
It's not a cheap hunt,($3595 + licenses, tax, etc) but we looked at others that were a couple thousand more. Air flight from Montreal is included in the price of the hunt. Our accommodations will be tents on wood platforms. There will be a wood stove in the tent. We will sleep in sleeping bags on cots & cook our own food that we take in with us. The guide limits the camp to no more than six hunters for the week.

Make dadgummed, darn tootin sure that your powder supply is there waiting for you when you arrive!

Last thing you need is handcuffs and a criminal record for crossing a border with explosives, much less climbing onto a jet with it.

I've been taking my own powder in & out of Canada to bear hunts for years & never run into any trouble. If you are "up front" about what you are doing they don't bother you. The most I ever had the officials do was a "random search" of my vehicle when returning to the US. I had already given them all the paperwork for my guns, etc. I also told them, "don't be surprised when you look in the back of the van & a bear is looking back at you." :haha: I wasn't even held up for 15 minutes.

I've been taking my own powder in & out of Canada to bear hunts for years & never run into any trouble. If you are "up front" about what you are doing they don't bother you.

If a plane is now in the picture, you have a whole new set of problems; IIRC, laws prohibit the taking of black powder on a plane....ANY plane! It's not the same as 'driving in".
Hope all works out well for you....Good luck!

I'm sure any outfitter worth his weight would supply powder with no problems if asked.

No doubt, have the outfitter pick you up a can.

$20-$30 bucks is cheap insurance

That great! Caribou is one critter I'd love to hunt afore I prime my final pan.

A friend who has done it (flint, even) recommends you find a guide who has several spots available so he can put you on the herd when your day arrives. They're not like whitetail and are on the move. Sitting somewhere the caribou ain't won't fill the game bag.

Good luck! Take pictures! :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Stumpkiller said:
That great! Caribou is one critter I'd love to hunt afore I prime my final pan.

A friend who has done it (flint, even) recommends you find a guide who has several spots available so he can put you on the herd when your day arrives. They're not like whitetail and are on the move. Sitting somewhere the caribou ain't won't fill the game bag.

Good luck! Take pictures! :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Yep, I've heard of guys having their hunts go bad like that.....spend lot's of money and not see animals because they're not in the right area. The guide that we have set up with has 23 camps available for us & says that we will be dropped into one that has caribou in the area. He will also move us to a different camp, if needed.

Ever ate Caribou steak?I have on a couple of occasions and found that it's quite gamey tasting and tougher than shoe leather.That was probably the 2 particular batches/Cuts,I'm sure if looked after and cooked properly it can be good.

The caribou meat that I've had opportunity to eat was always very tasty & not tough or stringy at all. I've eaten it several times from different animals & it never had a bad gamey taste. Personally, I think that it is much better eating than moose, elk, bear, or about any otheer big game that I've had. We have venison all the time, but if caribou was readily available I think that may end up being my choice.

For most people, the " Gamey " taste they complain about is bloody meat. It is easily removed from the meat by soaking the meat in water, with either vinegar, or salt. Then soak it in clean cold water for an equal amount of time to remove the salt or vinegar. Other people are used to the taste of bloody meat. It depends on where you are raised, and what kind of source you have for your meat. The plastic wrapped meat bought in grocery stores have been bleed out completely while the animal is still warm.

The other " Gamey " taste is spoilage, from not processing the animal properly, and getting it cooled down properly during transportation. If someone is taking a deer home strapped to the top of his pickup, so it gets all that road heat, sunlight, and road fumes and dust, I don't want to eat any part of it. Thank you kindly for the invitation, however. :hmm: :thumbsup:

So I want to know if you got someone to go with you too video the hunt. This is the kind of thing that could do alot for the Traditional Muzzleloader cause. Imagine tuning in too Vr's or one of the may outdoor channels and seeing the video of this hunt!!!!!!Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet huh!
As far as I remember I have never seen such a video. Although I have been preaching such a thing for a long time. You could ignite a whole new generaton if the video was done correctly.
Something to think about!

Blame for tough gamey caribou rests squarely on the hands that handle it. It's a sorry state of affairs any time folks blame the animal for their own sloppy ways.

Handle it right, and caribou is good enough you'll be rationing it out of the freezer before it's gone.

Don't go rubbing your hands on the hair and hide, then handling the meat. One hand for the knife and meat, and the other for the hide. Carry some of those little hand wipe packets and use them to clean your hands thoroughly before packing up the meat for carry.

If it will be a few days before your pickup plane arrives, you are going to want to hang the meat in fabric elk or moose bags so it can air and drain. Forget about the "deer bags" made of cheese cloth, cuzz they don't turn flies or dirt. If you can't manage to hang the meat, lay out your bags of meat on a tarp overnight so it can air, then be sure to shade the meat on sunny days.

Hunting strategy varies hugely with the location and time of the year. Later in the fall as cold weather approaches, yeah, they're going to herd up and start to move. It's an impressive sight to watch the herds and it will sorely test your fitness trying to intercept those fast movers.

But until the weather cools and the herds form and start to migrate, they are scattered. You'll see small herds of cows and calves, but the bigger bulls are pretty solitary. I don't recall ever seeing more than a handful of bulls in a bunch before migration, and more likely you are only going to see one or two at a time.

Whether early or late, bring along a good spotting scope, binoculars and heck of a set of legs and lungs. You'll be surveying large tracts of land, then moving out to connect.

If the migration has started, don't panic too bad if you can't get in front of a herd. Mark their travel route and stake it out for the next batch to come along. There are natural "funnels" in lots of places that herds will pass through, and that's often where smaller herds meet up to make bigger herds.

Get in shape now, and do a good job of it. Poor conditioning ruins more caribou hunts than anything I know.

BrownBear said:
Make dadgummed, darn tootin sure that your powder supply is there waiting for you when you arrive!

Last thing you need is handcuffs and a criminal record for crossing a border with explosives, much less climbing onto a jet with it.

BrownBear said:
Is a jet and an airport in your formula? I seem to recall reading about that in the hunt description.

I talked to the guide/outfitter tonight. He told me that the jet we'll be flying on is owned by them & it is a private charter. Taking black powder on their plane is expected & won't be a problem, since they specialize in hunting trips.

Bald Mtn Man said:
I just got back from the Northeastern Outdoor Sports Show in Syracuse, NY. I booked a caribou hunt for this fall. :applause:
I'm going to be there September 13-19 and plan to use my .54 flinter & a patched round ball for at least my first tag. My friend that is going with me is going to think that I'm nuts, :youcrazy: but I'd like to go dressed as P/C as I can. Waterproof footwear is going to be the worst problem though & I might have to give in on that one. :redface:

B.M.N,
Thats ausom!! I have famley just west of there haven't been boo hunting in a coon's age.
As for P/C go for it but I would suggest at least Bean boots if not all rubber or you will get jungle rot in your mocs.
When are you going? pre rut I hope. It's some of the best meat in North America but during the rut males are so rank my dog won't eat it :barf:

Back