• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

In defense of the 50......!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"...but there's still plenty of big ones, they're just in the minority."

'Tis true. I know they can get fairly big down south and west. But the Hill Country deer that I generally get to hunt are so small in comparison.

As someone else said, it's just a matter of perspective. If you are used to only taking good broadside shots (bowhunting experience), then the .50 roundball does great as it did on this nice (ML record-book) bull elk for me last year.
IMG_0022.jpg

AntlerCarryout1.jpg

Stats: Short barreled "trapper's carbine", .490 patched round ball, 80 gr. Pyrodex P, 35 yd. walking shot, about 100 yd. recovery (about 30 seconds from shot to "fall-over-dead-right-there")

In my opinion, there is no greater test in N. America of killing power than a big elk, for any type of weapon. I think they can be tougher to kill than even the big bears, or moose, etc.

grndhntr said:
As someone else said, it's just a matter of perspective. If you are used to only taking good broadside shots (bowhunting experience), then the .50 roundball does great as it did on this nice (ML record-book) bull elk for me last year.
IMG_0022.jpg

AntlerCarryout1.jpg

Stats: Short barreled "trapper's carbine", .490 patched round ball, 80 gr. Pyrodex P, 35 yd. walking shot, about 100 yd. recovery (about 30 seconds from shot to "fall-over-dead-right-there")

In my opinion, there is no greater test in N. America of killing power than a big elk, for any type of weapon. I think they can be tougher to kill than even the big bears, or moose, etc.

Ok you suck and dont get to post any more.. :rotf: :rotf:
Seriously nice bull! How much better would you have felt to have whacked it with a REAL gun like a .54? :hmm: :hmm:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I wouldn't feel any better, my shoulder might even feel a little worse but, I'm not going to bash the .54. I've actually never shot one. I think that if you want something that will bust through a shoulder bone or really knock an animal off its feet when hit in the spine, or if you would like to hunt Cape Buffalo or bigger in Africa, then a .54 or bigger is probably a better gun (because of the higher weight of the ball), but I have read posts from several people on this forum state, matter-of-factly, that it's not responsible or ethical to hunt elk with a .50 roundball...well, it depends. I say that if one waits for the shot and puts it where it needs to be, the .50 roundball will do trick. If you want to be able to shoot an elk while it's facing you or if you are willing to take a shot that might hit where you don't intend for it to, go with a bigger caliber, or a centerfire, heck, for some guys, they need a .50 BMG because of their lack of hunting skills to get close, but don't tell me that I am unethical for using what I am comfortable with in a range that I am comfortable shooting an elk. I have found that a bilateral hemo/pneumothorax on any animal is quickly lethal (a big hole through both lungs will toast 'em) and a .5" hole isn't really that inferior to a .54" hole if both go through both lungs. Shoot what you are comfortable with, but please, don't input your "professional" opinion on something unless you have experience to back up that opinion. Thanks for letting me vent a bit.

I wouldn't hesitate one bit to hunt elk with a .50. I've done much too well with .45 prbs on deer to worry about the effectiveness of the .50...or the .54.

My cousin was attacked by a Grizz that took 9 shots from a 7mm rem mag!(third shot broke its back or it would have won)Elk are tough, but a cranky grizz just won't stay down!

I'm curious as to that bear's weight and size.
I'm also curious about the taste of bear meat. I've read from some that it's great and others not so...

I also curious what bears think of people (talking monkeys) meat. No, I've never heard one complain but surely they have to have preferences. :idunno:

About 252 dressed and its delicious. Im 5'10 220. This was bear 13 in my life. Im having bear meat loaf tonight. Properly taken care of you will get a great cut of meat.

now this child has to say I like lots of lead.That said I looked up 50s and 54s in my lyman bp handbook and was surprised to see very little to choose from in terms of ft/lbs at ranges out to 100 yards.I have a 50 whats put deer on the table, and they were just as dead as deer killed with my 54 and 62.I the medical field we do life saving training. Some newbies are afraid of doing the wrong thing, instucters always tell them you cant get deader then dead.Learn your 50 play with your 50 use your 50 and I bet you'll never go to bed hungry :hatsoff:

as to the taste of bear meat, the only one that I have taken was great...good sweet meat. A friend of mine took one and said it wasn't fit to eat. His dog wouldn't even eat it. I think he took care of the meat ok, but it was a trash bear. I think it really depends on what they eat. I've also heard that black bears in Alaska when the're eating a lot of fish, have very fishy meat.

I've only had it once and I LOVED it!!

My cousin in the mnt's of NC had his wife cook some. She rendered it a few times (whatever she meant by that) and served a roast. Whoooee was it tasty!!

I wish we could hunt them here like when I was a kid but the state seems to think their underpaid bear counters know best....anyone with a feeder here knows otherwise.

People complain all the time about one thing or another tasting "fishy". Why don't we ever hear complaints about things tasting "beefy"?

The best tasting wild game I ever ate was a northern California antelope that was raised on alfalfa....sure was sad when it was gone! Don't really care for mule deer feeding on sage...whole deer taste like sage! Only bear meat was a backstrap I soaked in milk 24 hours and slow roasted...delicious! By the way, if you'all want your meat to taste better, skin and let it hang for a week in a cool place....not sure why but it sure helps the meat taste better? Sorry for beating a dead horse... :dead: .... :wink:

Shine, it looks like you busted that bear on someone's front lawn.

What was he doing? Playing with the water sprinkler?

Back