• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

In-line pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanstg

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I was browsing thru some old firearm books the other day at a used book store and found a "muzzleloading guide" or something. It was a book about the size of a Shooter's Bible and had some articles about ML in general. I didn't buy it, but one picture caught my attention. It was a picture of what appeared to be a single shot in-line pistol. It looked just like a cap&ball revolver, but without the cylinder. It might even be a modified revolver. The pic wasn't very clear, but buttock, trigger and hammer looked very similar to a colt 1851, or maybe a rem 1858. The barrel was octagonal, maybe 8 inches long (my guess).

Does anyone know this pistol? Was it ever produced? Or maybe someone just made it from a cap&ball revolver somehow?

Thanks,
Vanstg

I always considered the blackpowder revolvers to be "inlines"!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Did the one you mention, have a "top-strap"????

As rollingb says revolvers "are" in-lines for all practical purposes! There was consderble experimenting done replaceing the cylinder with a machined chamber chamber block of steel ,It did make a very accurate in-line single shot pistol! Why? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif :: just because!

I think the term "inline" is a modern ome which describes a system in which the striker device travels inline with the bore like a modern fireing pin device in a bolt action or auto loader, the arc of a hammer in a revolver is a bit different so they may not truely be inlines by our current definition.the movement of the detonition device is a critical part of the definition, and is what seperates modern inline ML's with most non-typical guns from the past and revolvers.

I think the gun you saw was a "Tingle", this was a single shot pistol that looked a lot like a single action revolver
but was solid where the cylinder would be. In a cap and ball the cap, powder, ball are all inline so yes they are an inline. I have a .45 cal barrel (10")for a TC contender
that uses 209 primers and while it may not be any more accurate than my flinters or percussion pistols, it is very easy to shoot accurately. :winking:

I just saw another picture of this pistol in a book called "Advanced Muzzleloading Hunting" or something like that.

It is the Scout Pistol, made by Thompson Center. Probably it's not in production anymore.

Vanstg

I'd forgotten about the Scout pistol, TC made a lot of Scout rifles but not so many of the pistols. Both had the olD west look.

Back