• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Indian Baker Rifle first impression

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Picked it up at a rural flee market really cheap. Looks like it was never fired before and contact hole was already drilled and it was throwing sparks really good. Initial impression is good. When I was thinking about Indian made flintlocks I was imagining something much more crude and ugly.
This one is 62 cal smoothbore. Shot it at 25 yards with .60 cal patched balls, 48 grains FF. Later switched to cornmeal over powder and no patch. Noticed that fist quarter of the way down the barrel I'm forcing the ball to go down but then it almost falls in but I think it's a common problem with Indian made guns
20240627_112213.jpg
20240627_112219.jpg
20240627_112225.jpg
20240627_112247.jpg

I have one, never thought of Bobby Hoyt rifling it to 62 caliber. I expected problems so I sent it off to Bobby to have it relined to 54 caliber, made it heaver. Eventually I had to put a touch hole liner in as I was misfiring, losing pressure from the touch hole.

Nice!

Send it off to Bobby Hoyt in PA to be rifled to 62-cal if you want, as he charged me only $80 once the barrel checked out.

The Baker actually is one of the nicer one’s I’ve seen for an Indian made Arm, it still looks very chunky and oversized patchbox is a little high.

As for the barrel, I’d get that looked at, the way you described it as needing to be forced down and then it falls down the bore, sounds like a potential real issue there, this generally means that the bore is over machined in the breech end or there was an expansion at some point when it was fired. All things aside to get a barrel professional to take a look at it, and i would certainly have a rifled copy made or the original barrel liner if able.

I have one, never thought of Bobby Hoyt rifling it to 62 caliber. I expected problems so I sent it off to Bobby to have it relined to 54 caliber, made it heaver. Eventually I had to put a touch hole liner in as I was misfiring, losing pressure from the touch hole.

I doubt he will rifle the existing barrel, he would probably line it down to 58 caliber then rifle it or used a pre-rifled liner.

Latest posts

Back