• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Indian Charleville M1777 AN IX

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

32 Cal
Reaction score
Received my M1777 An IX today with some joy and some disappointment. I like the lock, the touch hole, the fizzen gap with the pan and how well it sparks. I didn't like how the back barrel band sits on the stock, and they put some kind of oil on the stock, also the pan should be tilled forward. I do like the color of the stock. Got this from the Muzzleloader Shop in Arkansas, they proof fired it with 180 grains of powder and a ball, the musket was imported by Localist Arms. Understand that these India musket are work in progress so all in all stratified with the experience.
DSCN3085.JPG
DSCN3082.JPG
DSCN3084.JPG
DSCN3090.JPG

What is the 1895 musket ? Was it the US 1795 ? I have to say that I dont think that Italian made muskets are overpriced in comparison to this umple de etiemie *based on the indian spelling presented here. For comparison Im posting a photo of my Pedersoli when it was brand new. That was 10 Years ago. Last weekend I shot 20 rounds from it and got 20/20 ignitions. No tinkering, no stock refurbrishement, no frizen change. Proud to have it and to support a traditional regional business.

Attachments

• P4050451.JPG
    P4050451.JPG
    793.9 KB · Views: 0
What is the 1895 musket ? Was it the US 1795 ? I have to say that I dont think that Italian made muskets are overpriced in comparison to this umple de etiemie *based on the indian spelling presented here. For comparison Im posting a photo of my Pedersoli when it was brand new. That was 10 Years ago. Last weekend I shot 20 rounds from it and got 20/20 ignitions. No tinkering, no stock refurbrishement, no frizen change. Proud to have it and to support a traditional regional business.
The Pedersoli's are sweet for sure but the price increases since COVID are way beyond what one would call normal inflation increases, but they aren't alone in the greed.

If I had the extra money I too would buy the Pedersoli - they are nice but since I don't I would purchase an India made gun.;)

Completely understand that. My point being that the Italian quality is not overcharged. Im also thinking about a Indian made 1740s Prussian musket, as its the only option on the market.

Completely understand that. My point being that the Italian quality is not overcharged. Im also thinking about an Indian made 1740s Prussian musket, as its the only option on the market.
Sitting Fox had a five grand jaegar that in photos looks real good. I’m sure it’s worth every penny. Howsomever I could not afford that, or even one at half the price.
So I build, but I’m not a gun maker, my work at best is third rate.
The Indian guns shoot, and shoot as well as more expensive and Indian guns are offered in types you can’t get anywhere else except a custom built
Buy the best you can, but don’t miss out on fun cause you can’t get the best.

The Pedersoli's are sweet for sure but the price increases since COVID are way beyond what one would call normal inflation increases, but they aren't alone in the greed.
And just exactly how do you know it’s “greed” that is driving the cost of goods? Do you have any idea what 4140 steel cost or walnut stock blanks?

I'm very satisfied with my Pedersoli 1777 Charleville. It shot great out the box and I never looked back. So a vote for Pedersoli here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231212-191723_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231212-191723_Gallery.jpg
    617.7 KB · Views: 0
I received my Model 1777 by Pedersoli from DGW last July. I haven't shot it yet, nor the 4 Uberti Colts I ordered from DGW over the last couple of years. I haven't shot any of my firearms since my wife passed 3 1/2 years ago. I am 1 month away from full retirement age, probably won't retire until January to try and pad the social security payout by a small percentage, but only a couple weeks away from no more weekend work and going on a 4 day work week. I am anxious to get back to shooting and working up the loads on those recent purchases. My only other Pedersoli is their Kentucky Rifle I bought back in 1991 for the lofty price of $250 brand new. Look at Dixie's site and see where that sells now. I paid Dixie's current price for my Model 1777 last year, but mine is the more expensive one with only one barrel band retaining spring. The trigger pull on my Kentucky was always horrendous but the trigger pull on the Model 1777 is quite pleasant, which actually surprised me. I can't talk about greed or anything like that. It seems over the last 30 years everything except paychecks have gone up a great deal. If any of y'all have any advice on the loads you're using in your Pedersoli Model 1777 I'd like to hear to try that and loads close to see what she likes.

The price is driven mostly by salary costs. And whats wrong with the Butt plate ?
I’ll include some pictures and let you see for your self. I really could use a better picture of an India made butt plate. Original top left, Pedersoli top right, LA India made bottom. From the looks of things the India makes of all the French and 1795 muskets have heels that are very flat looking instead of rounded.

Attachments

• IMG_6233.jpeg
    IMG_6233.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6235.jpeg
    IMG_6235.jpeg
    256.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6234.jpeg
    IMG_6234.jpeg
    171.5 KB · Views: 0
I received my Model 1777 by Pedersoli from DGW last July. I haven't shot it yet, nor the 4 Uberti Colts I ordered from DGW over the last couple of years. I haven't shot any of my firearms since my wife passed 3 1/2 years ago. I am 1 month away from full retirement age, probably won't retire until January to try and pad the social security payout by a small percentage, but only a couple weeks away from no more weekend work and going on a 4 day work week. I am anxious to get back to shooting and working up the loads on those recent purchases. My only other Pedersoli is their Kentucky Rifle I bought back in 1991 for the lofty price of $250 brand new. Look at Dixie's site and see where that sells now. I paid Dixie's current price for my Model 1777 last year, but mine is the more expensive one with only one barrel band retaining spring. The trigger pull on my Kentucky was always horrendous but the trigger pull on the Model 1777 is quite pleasant, which actually surprised me. I can't talk about greed or anything like that. It seems over the last 30 years everything except paychecks have gone up a great deal. If any of y'all have any advice on the loads you're using in your Pedersoli Model 1777 I'd like to hear to try that and loads close to see what she likes.

I use à 670 ball with 100 grains of 2F powder wrapped in paper. Tear the end off, dump some in the pan and the rest down the barrel. Followed by paper and ball.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240513-071519_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240513-071519_Gallery.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
@Piquant is following the military practice of priming the pan from the cartridge. As a reenactor, is do prime my King's Musket from the cartridge for a blank load, but I use a separate pan charger for the live loads. Since I mostly shoot live loads in Woods Walk competitions and range rules prohibit charging the pan unless at a firing station.

I think Piquant is suggesting a reasonable ball size, but I would start my load development with 80 grains of 2Fg for the main charge, two overshot cards, the ball in a nest of tow for wadding and an overshot card to hold it in place. A similar load works well for my 20 gauge fowling gun.

Back