• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Indiana Whitetail Down ...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on your buck. He is a nice one.
Would you come to Oklahoma and teach our deer to stop when you want them too? Around here, any noise puts them into overdrive.

Swampy said:
Is that a Don Stith Hawken?

No Swampy, it is not a Stith rifle, though very similar to what he offers. A friend of mine built this rifle and I bought it from him. It is a neat trim .45 with a 13/16" Green Mountain barrel, hooked breech and double keys and a Griffith Tool Co. lock.

I was wanting a nice handling deer thumper after last year's season and was quite taken with Stith's "Squirrel Hawkens". I recalled that my friend had offered this rifle to me the previous year and contacted him. He still had it, so now it's mine. It has what I consider one of the prettiest curl patterns in it's hard maple stock I have seen. He knows how to finish stocks to suit me too.

Do you know of anyone that has a Stith "Squirrel Hawken"? If so, how do they like them?

Skychief

Good goin' Skychief!
Maybe he ain't a "monster" but he sure ain't nothin' to sneeze at. Nice buck. Great story.

Vearl said:
Congrats on your buck. He is a nice one.
Would you come to Oklahoma and teach our deer to stop when you want them too? Around here, any noise puts them into overdrive.

Vearl, I have been lucky to get deer to stop as I need them. My friend in the second picture seems to have the worst luck stopping deer. The slightest peep out of him and the deer do their best to turn themselves inside out while heading to the next township! :rotf: He claims that he is cursed. I assure him that he is cursed indeed.....we have a LOT of fun with the light side of hunting, poking and zinging one another at every opportunity. :wink:

Skychief

Skychief said:
Jethro224 said:
Good goin' Skychief!
Maybe he ain't a "monster" but he sure ain't nothin' to sneeze at. Nice buck. Great story.

Thanks Jethro! Any action in Illinois for you?

Not just yet. Our first firearm season opens this Friday. I'm itchin' to get out! I'll be totin' my new Stroh flinter. :grin:

That's a fine buck to my eyes; congratulations. I have trouble getting the to stop, too. Reckon I should stop yelling "STOP. POLICE"?

Cograts on a nice buck with the smokepole. :thumbsup: You certainly can't kill em' if you ain't in the woods....and it paid off this time. Well done. :wink:

Well done Skychief; beautiful buck & great story.
What part of the Hoosier State are you in?

Skychief said:
srad said:
Well done Skychief; beautiful buck & great story.
What part of the Hoosier State are you in?

Southwestern. Are you a Hoosier too? If so, what part?

Yup... well, really a transplant from the Catskill Mtns. of New York. Been in IN for 16 yrs though. Live up in Bristol, north of Elkhart, about 3 miles from the MI border.

My oldest son started at IU this year; tempted & thinking about going for a visit & a couple early mornings at Yellowood or Hoosier National forests during muzzy season.

"Do you know of anyone that has a Stith "Squirrel Hawken"? If so, how do they like them?"

No Matt, they just came to mind as I read your story. I've been drooling over his parts sets for a couple years now. :thumbsup:

Skychief said:
Well, I will just congratulate you now Jethro.....Roy's guns are said to never miss their marks! :thumbsup:

So, congrats, but......good luck too. :wink:

Skychief

Well, Roy's guns do always hit what you point 'em at... Sometimes I ain't pointin' it at where I want to hit tho. :haha:
I'm sure gonna try tho and I'll take all the good luck I can get. :hatsoff:
There are some real monster bucks that live around where I hunt and I'm hoping to get a crack at one, but I'll take a doe and be happy too.
Heck, I'm gonna be happy just to be out huntin' all weekend!

:thumbsup: Atta boy! congrats!! trophy is what you make it! an I'd take that in a heart beat! good job! :hatsoff:

Back