• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Indiana whitetail

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tilford

32 Cal.
Reaction score
https://thumbp15-bf1.mail.yahoo.com/tn?sid=12047129126981921... I shot this 10 point white tail deer off hand at 35 yards on opening weekend of gun season 2015 in sothern Indiana with my 50 caliber hawkens riffle.Opening morning was a great morning for deer movement. Before this buck came in I saw 4 other bucks within shooting range with the biggest being a 6 points. I decide to hold off till i got a chance at a bigger buck. I spoted my buck at about 8:30 a.m. 200yds away chasing does and impatiently watched him for an hour before he broke away from the does and came into my neck of the woods to feed. Before I could get a shot off he ran directly under my stand.I was sitting down and had no way of shooting him without standing, which would spook him. Then a breeze started and the buck caught my scent and ran 20 yatds in front of me broadside. I took aim and fired but my gun didn't go off due to the fact I blew my nipple off a few days early target practicing and when I replaced it i forgot to file the new nipple so the cap seated properly. The noise from the hammer didn't spook the buck much though and he just ran about 15 more yards and stood there broadside. I pulled the hammer back again and tried to fire a second time. This time the gun fired and struck the deer in the shoulder. When the ball hit the sholder bone it bounced and hit the spine dropping the deer imediatly(which was a relief since I hate tracking and dragging deer along way). I was so happy to get this deer I had killed several does and a one antlered buck but this was my first one with a full rack and to make things better I harvested it with a traditional muzzleloader, which made me that much more proud.

Last edited by a moderator:
"We don't need no stinking links"...

Congrats on that antlered buck..Deer do the darndest things when you least expect it.
Warning you are going down a path that will lead you away from caps and nipples...Don't say I didnt warn you.... choose wisely when you come to the dark side...Once flintlock game is taken so shall you be.
Enjoy the smoke...Dan :

Congratulations on a very nice buck! Your patience that morning certainly paid off. :thumbsup:

Nicely written account of your deer hunt. You did well in how you handled the situation. Congratulations on harvesting a very nice buck with your Hawken.

I used to live in Seymour, IN and surely do miss squirrel hunts in those wonderful Southern Indiana woods. In the 11 years that we lived in Indiana, I never did hunt any deer. For many years, I had hunted in Texas and had gotten deer every year. My wife just got tired of eating so much venison so I gave up deer hunting. But I managed to keep her eating squirrels every year. Enjoy those beautiful Indiana woods, there are none prettier.

you got that right. I love to go to Jackson County in the fall and look at the colorful leaves on all the big rolling hills.

Very well done, you kept cool and recovered nicely from the misfire. It is so nice when they drop in their tracks, I don't like tracking either, but hey you're young and strong enough to just throw it over your shoulder rather than drag it out (just kidding). Thanks for sharing your hunt.

Next time you get down that way be sure to check out the Hoosier National Forest. Lots of bushy tails in there but take a map and compass, or even better a GPS, because as you are looking for Mr. Bushytail and get way down in those woods, you can sure get turned around. Beautiful woods and great hunting. Don't miss it.

Oh, it's best to wait until after the first frost because until then the ticks are out looking for some tender hunter meat. But, I guess that's true of most all woods. Don't be feeding those things. If you want to hunt before the first frost, put some powdered sulfur in a Bull Durham bag or something similar to a Bull Durham bag and use it all over your body like a powder puff. A light dusting of sulfur will keep them off.

Congratulations Tilford, from a fellow Hoosier. You have done well, waiting for the big boy. What part of Indiana were you hunting? I went to Florida, for work, for 27 years, then moved to South central Tennessee and just returned home, (Logansport), a week ago. Keep yer powder dry........robin :bow:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back