• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Info on Bill Edwards (Afton, VA) 1851 Navy .36?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnlonghunter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a line on one of these from a local guy. I can't seem to find any significant information about them. I've found a few random mentions in various old threads, but any links to articles or longer write-ups are dead.

The seller says it's unfired and made in Italy around the late 1970s for Mr. Edwards. He's asking $225.

So, can anyone provide any details about these?

Who was the actual manufacturer?
Are they good shooters? I'm not interested in a collector's piece.
Is that a fair asking price?

I just paid the dumb@$$ tax to a scammer to the tune of $180, so while I do want a good 1851, I'm kinda gun-shy at this point unless it's as close to a sure-enough good move as possible. At least this time, it'll be a face-to-face transaction.

You may have seen my old posts on Bill Edwards marked revolvers.

Have seen and handled several Bill Edwards marked Colt style percussion revolvers at Bill Edward's gun show table many years ago. Can not remember who made them. The quality seemed nice IIRC. Unfortunately all the 10 - 12 guns had some light surface rust overall so did not buy any of them.

The guns were marked on top of the barrels " - ADDRESS BILL EDWARDS AFTON VA US AMERICA - ".

Do not know how these would hold up as shooters. Think $225 would be a fair price in unfired condition.

Talked with Bill for a few minutes. He talked about his business dealings with Val Forgett of Navy Arms. Bill apparently hated Val due to some bad business deal between them.

Would be interested in knowing more if other members can post information.

If you can please post pictures and advise who made the 1851.

There is some background information on Bill Edwards over at the Centaure & FROCS website www.1960nma.org.
Edwards was involved or the driver rather in setting up the production at Gregorelli & Uberti in 1959/60 for the first Colt 1851 Navies and 1862 Griswold & Gunnisons and at Fabriques d'Armes Unis de Liège in Belgium for the Centaure 1960 NEW MODEL ARMIES.
Long Johns Wolf

Back