• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Info on hawks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Alvah

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I'd appreciate any advice as to what I should look for in a decent "working" hawk(as opposed to a throwing hawk, I suppose), something I can rely on for camp chores, ect. Forged head? Cast?
Also, about how much should I expect to spend for such a hawk?
I see them on ebay for $12 or so, and I also see some high-end custom ones. I'm looking for something kinda in between....
Thanks!

It sounds like you need an "ax", not a tomahawk.

BeltAxe08.JPG

http://www.beaverbill.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Two quick thoughts...

1. If you're looking to be PC for a certain persona or time period, do your research first. I suggest getting one with a poll head so's you can hammer tent stakes, etc. And most any hawk "should" be a decent thrower once you practice with it enough.

2. If the above don't apply and you want a damn good, lightweight hawk that includes a poll for hammerin' and made for serious use, check out Cold Steel's "Trail Hawk". I love mine. Their site states, "drop forged from 1055 Carbon steel... 19oz". Actually, I saw one shaped like it in "The Frontier Rifleman" book, so I "antiqued" mine just for grins. Anyway, it's modern in that it has an allen head screw/nut that holds the head on the handle real good, but you could modify that. Lookee here (video):
http://www.coldsteel.com/trailhawk.html

Actually, the video is kinda silly, so I suggest watching it just for laughs while the guy beats the manure out of stuff ha ha!

Have fun and chop safe!

- Jet

CZMark said:
As was said above, you need an axe. Tomahawks were weapons used in hand-to-hand combat, not wood-cutting tools.
With respect but that's one of those those statements that doesn't fit the facts - there is plenty of primary documentation that shows that tomahawks could be and were used as mulit-purpose weapons and tool - do the research..
and like Mr Jones I've cut my fair share of wood with a tomahawk over the last 40+ years......with with their 1 to 1.5 lb heads (late English style which are normally heavier than the earlier French styles) my hawks have worked a lot better than some of those light weight bag axes so often touted as 'The Tool' of choice....

While I haven't bought one from them in many years H & B Forge hawks have always been good quality for the price http://www.hbforge.com/
just ignore the descriptive names and get what you like....
For a custom made one Stuart Willis - www.swillisforge.com - IMO worth the extra money...

R Jones said:
Don't tell ennyone', but I have cut a ton of wood with one!! :rotf:

Absolutely, and you can skin a buffalo with a straight razor too, but that's not why they were made the way they were - same with tomahawks and axes.

I guess the point is, a guy should just buy what he wants and use it how he wants, whether it's a tomahawk, ax, or whatever. No point in trying to educate anyone if they don't care, right? :wink:

Mr. Labonte, You are right on target with your remarks.The Hawk is a very versatile tool. I don't leave home without one. If I were going to carry a axe, it would be a Hudson Bay pattern. :wink:

Inventory of goods left at Ile à la Crosse, 1786.

8 half axes
5 cassetetes
12 large axes

Casse têtes, aka tomahawks. There is more than enough evidence to prove that these are all the same pattern, just different sizes, i.e. you can/they did/they were designed to cut wood.

There is a difference between people who talk about education and those who are actively engaged in research and education. :wink:

The forged axes are better than the cast. The cast ones are clunky and better suited to use as door stops.

I like a big heavy tomahawk that I can throw or cut wood with. I don't have any interest in lightweight trekking, so a heavy do everything hawk works for me.

I modified mine with some filework and a pierced pattern in the blade. Don't bother fixing up the handle too much, they seem to get replaced fairly often if you throw much.

Many Klatch

A Hawk/Ax with a hammer pole is much more usable than one without. And forged heads are best.
Three_Hawks.JPG

Uncle Alvah said:
I'd appreciate any advice as to what I should look for in a decent "working" hawk(as opposed to a throwing hawk, I suppose), something I can rely on for camp chores, ect. Forged head? Cast?
I see them on ebay for $12 or so, and I also see some high-end custom ones. I'm looking for something kinda in between....
Thanks!

For the Best Buy In Forged TomaHawk's check out Fort Turner's Web-Site, Dana does some Great Work & his Wife make's some Very Nice belt Sheath's, Check out his Hardened Poll Camp Hawk & the Smaller version the Hardened Poll Trapper's Hawk "I've got one of his Trapper's and It's a Great little Camp Tool "Very Good Cutting Edge, Nice Hammer poll for tent stakes & Trap Stakes and It's also a great little Thrower, Plus It's American Made "Hand Made", Or If you want a Great little Hatchet go with the Fiskars "Made In Finland" The Best Buy In Hatchet's by far, Take Care !

Uncle Alvah said:

I've had several hawks over the years, top dollar and elcheapos as well. The only one I have kept is the old Dixie hand forged throwing hawk that sold for 19 dollars thirty years ago. I use it for throwing, splitting kindling, trimming small branches off of fire wood, head chopping chickens, and several other uses over the last twenty five years or so. In fact it is on the work bench in its sheath right now as I have been using it while pruning the apple trees.
Thanks!

Is that the Amish made one from Dixie? A friend has one of those. Very solid!

I have a Dixie Gun Works tomahawk also. I think the head style was called the Huron or Shawnee. The first one of those I had deleoped a crack along a weld. I had thrown and used that thing so much. I used to get off work and go throw in the yard for at least an hour or more almost every day for about three or four years. I called Dixie and told them the head had a crack in it. They said to send it back. I got a new one, same type, no questions asked. I was concerned the shape of the head would be radically different, and wanted the same type head. They were very accomodating. It has been thrown hard for nearly thirty years now. It is hand forged and made in the USA.
We also have a couple of the Fort Turner tomahawks. They are well made and are also hand forged here in the US. I met Dana and his wife a few years ago, very nice people, and they make very good products.
If I didn't have my old Dixie tomahawk as my first love, the Fort Turner would be. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back