• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

#%^&ing Lyman

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I shot patched round ball, I always wiped between shots. If you try loading six consecutive shots you'll have a problem with any rod. I don't know what caliber your gun is, but assuming it's a .54, I'd recommend a .530 ball. If it's a .50 caliber try a .490. If you're loading a really tight fit in a dirty barrel, you will have problems loading.

A round ball should load firm rather than hard. If it takes main strength to load the gun with a clean barrel you're patch/ball combination needs work. If each shot is progresively harder to load, try wiping between shots.

Leaky Roof said:
Huntin Dawg said:
Don't let a broken ramrod sour your opinion of Lyman.

I second that. I hope you enjoy your new rifle.

Leaky Roof

O.K. but unlike some sour grape responses I've seen from Lyman, TC would make it right NO questions asked, even if not original purchaser ( 10-20-30 years later.....), and on top of that made in USA.

I've got Lyman/Investarms products that are are GREAT, but I can always count on my TCs and who made them.

If they they don't look as PC, the BS don't bother me.........

Walks with fire said:
Just get a good quality rod to replace it and your good to go. I would not use a wooden ramrod anyway because they are not safe. Your lucky you didn't run it into your hand. Just think about doing that on top of a mountian or something when your hunting. Remove the possibility and get a good solid rod.

Not safe? Hmmm...after shooting MLers since the 60s [although I admit to not shooting as many rounds per year as many folks here] I have broken exactly ONE ramrod. It had a defect in it. I do admit to using range rods at times that are either glass or aluminum, but they are really unneeded. A good well made hickory rod should last many years--I have at least one that I made in 1978, original to its rifle. Some of the import wood doesn't look too good to me...I have a rod on my Tulle [came with it] that is made from some soft wood and I don't trust it...{memo to self} need to replace that critter!

I've been shooting front-stuffers for close to 30 years and I have yet to break a ram-rod. I did send one down range one time because I had my head up my arse, but it didn't break it. Most of the time I use a stailless range-rod with a plastic guide, and the only time that my wooden ram-rods are out is in the field. They are purty, but they're made of wood. Wood breaks!

I broke my first rod about two weeks ago...it was an original factory Lyman GPR rod. Luckily my buddy was kind enough to let me use his rod so I could keep shooting. It took about twenty minutes to have a second one made up and stained when I got home.

I have a number of muzzy's and never broke a rod.I pull the wood rod and save it and use aluminum.Tried brass but added to the weight.If you are handy,you can get a piece the same diameter as your wood at a hardware store.Drill center and tap one end a 10x32 and drill the other way over size like a 3/4 to give you a round to seat ball/bullet.A "T" handle is a big help also.

Back