• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Inlay Ideas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokestick

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm going to start on a Lyman GPR kit in the next month or so. I'd like to personalize it just a little. Anybody got any good inlay ideas, besides some of the basics out there you see in the catalogs?

One of my uncles took some sheet brass and made a small tomahawk, and a bowie-type knife, and they turned out pretty good. I'm looking for something like that. Nothing cheesey, but it doesn't have to be "period correct" either.

Anybody have any "different" sort of inlay ideas?

Also, do you all think about brass vs. german silver on a GPR that would have the furniture and barrel browned? I'm partial to the silver, but a small brass inlay or two might not be bad.....

I seen a fellow Ohio hunter's muzzleloader that had a brass inlay of Ohio on the cheek area...

It looked really nice, maybe you could have your state's shape made and then inlay it...

(unless your state is box shaped, that would be too plain)

What interests you? Hobbies? An old family crest? Favorite game animal? Belong to any organizations (Masons, Boy Scouts, Hell's Angels)? State flag or seal? College mascot?

I always thought the obverse and reverse of a Buffalo nickle would make an attractive subject, but they're 100 years too late. Since that doesn't matter . . .

I like German silver, but that's just a personal taste thing. It seems to be easier to keep shiny, if you like that. (Flitz & very light pressure).

quote:Originally posted by Stumpkiller:
I always thought the obverse and reverse of a Buffalo nickle would make an attractive subject, but they're 100 years too late. Since that doesn't matter.How about inlaying the 2000 Sacagawea Golden Dollar?

That's a nice looking coin...

And it'll increase the value of your gun by one whole dollar...
grin.gif

the squaw buck corrode or lose there gold shine quickly look at one that been in circulation for a while. Rocky

The squawbuck would make an interesting inlay on the outside flat of the butt.
As far as it loosing its color, a person could take it to a plating house and have them put a layer of real gold on it. Sense the plating is only a few thousands of an inch thick it might not cost an arm and a let even with gold going for over $400 an ounce.
At least in larger citys there are usually several places who do replating. Most deal with brass lamps and silverware but all of them can gold plate stuff.

Just a thought.

Back