• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Inlet black substitute

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEWB

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if any of you guys knew of anything that you could use inplace of inletting black? Something that I might find around the house or in a hardware store. I have a stock on the way and I don't have any. And if there is anything that could be used that would save me a little money I'd appreciate it. Thanks, Dew

I've used Candle smoke. Light a parafin candle and get the flame burning good, then pass the metal part over the flame and get some soot on it.

Hello, I was wondering if any of you guys knew of anything that you could use inplace of inletting black? Something that I might find around the house or in a hardware store. I have a stock on the way and I don't have any. And if there is anything that could be used that would save me a little money I'd appreciate it. Thanks, Dew

Try a regular (not the erasable) Marks-A-Lot type black felt tip pen. Once you do, it will put a grin on your face, no muss, no fuss, and ultra precise.

If doing walnut wood, get one in red.

I use a marker also. They work great. I used to use the eraseable kind but once I gave the permenant a try I never looked back. The eraser kind will get on everything and turn you stock colors

i use an oil lamp with the glass taken off to lay down a soot layer....works good and i have no problem with soot being to messy....doesn't really make a mess just a little black here and there on my hands....i don't really know if they had markers 200 years ago :crackup: :thumbsup: ...........bob

I like to use crisco shorting and charred wood from the burnt wood ash pile or charcoal.I grind charred real fine and add the two together. It takes alot of charred wood to get the color black enough.Works good.

I use my carbide sight smoker. I would think an acetylene torch with the oxygen turned off would be great too.

My best luck has come with the oil lamp. Take off the chimney, turn the wick up a little and you will get all the black you need. Some of the early makers used "lamp black". I wonder where they got the name????

A small jar of inletting black from Brownells will only set you back a few $ and 1 jar will last for several guns. You can also use candles to black parts, as well as lipstick, kerosene lamp black, etc. You could also try things such as grease pencil and chalk. I have heard all of these mentioned, and have personally used the inletting black and candle methods myself.
Best of luck,
Black Hand

I tried inletting black and it is a mess to use. As flatlander says, candle black works better and is easier and cleaner.

Sir,
I have found that the less you use the better. I add a small amount and spread it thin with a cloth, then touch up with the cloth as needed. The candle just took too much time to accomplish what was done with the black in several seconds. The only time I go heavy is when I just can't find that spot that is still binding, then I goop it up and let the chips fall where they may

I do agree that it is messy stuff, and danged near impossible to get out of your carpet if you drop the jar (my desk in the living room is my workbench as I have no garage) but pine-sol 50% with water sure gets alot of it out.

Black Hand

I just wanted to thank you all for the good idea's.It's not that I'm to tight to order any inlet black,[although people think I am a tightwad] It's just that the stock would make it here before the inlet black would and I don't think I can wait for it before I get started.The tempation would be more than I could bare! And if there is something else that would work I thought I'd try it and maybe order some later with some parts if I needed it. Thanks again! you guys are great! Dew

Hey DEW -
I use india ink mixed with alcohol and apply with a Q-tip..
The rubbing alcohol evaporates leaving black.. :D
Works for me ..
Have tried soot - candle, and lipstick; but I like this better..
One of my buddies swears by carbon paper.. I haven't tried that yet; but it will work in a pinch.. :shocking:
Hope it helps..
Spring forward
limpin'frog :sleep: :sleep:

I used a lot of Jerrow's inletting black, but like soot better. Used a little kerosene lamp but ran out of wick. Made a burner from a .308 brass case with a .45 case(Casull, but any .45 would work, sized down a bit for friction fit over .308). Cut a dozen strands of knitting yarn about 1/4" longer than the .308 case and stuff it in there. Then take an eyedropper bottle with kerosene and soak the yarn. Light it with a cigarette lighter. Blow it out when done. The .45 cap keeps it from evaporating. Yarn does not burn until you run it dry, then it starts to melt and smells. So reload with kerosene. Small, easy to light and move around the metal, nothing to tip over. I like it.

I once had a female employee that left her cosmetics everywhere and I began using her lipstick as an inletting marker. Worked pretty well.

Later, when I ran out or lost those, I stol... uh appropriated the ones that looked worst on the wife. She had this awful orange shade that...
Solved multiple problems. :)

CS

Ask for a used tube of lipstick from your closest female friend, wife or.... you could use Prussian blue transfer paste. Candle soot works if you don't mind having an open flame close to your work area. I have used all three over the years. Whatever floats your boat.

Back