• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I saw something very unique today on my way back from sighing in my GPR and Mr. Crockett. It was on a very narrow, one-lane road coming out of the holler that I hunt and hang out in. A squirrel crossed the road in front of me. I had to have sunglasses on due to my recent eye work done. Just by looking at its tail I knew, or though I knew, it was a fox squirrel. There are a few that hang out low around that road there. As I got a closer I was still not sure of the color of the body but the tail was definitely red and the last 2 to 3 inches (tip) was as white as snow. The squirrel was going on the other side of a tree but I could have sworn it had a gray body. However, I was so amazed at that large, bushy tail with a white tip that I might not have seen the color of the body that I thought it was.

Also, on the drive over there this morning I saw several gray squirrels running across the roads. It was 0930.
Sounds like you may have some cross breeding although I'm not sure where the white tip of the tail came from. How did your shooting go with your new eyes?

So I saw something very unique today on my way back from sighing in my GPR and Mr. Crockett. It was on a very narrow, one-lane road coming out of the holler that I hunt and hang out in. A squirrel crossed the road in front of me. I had to have sunglasses on due to my recent eye work done. Just by looking at its tail I knew, or though I knew, it was a fox squirrel. There are a few that hang out low around that road there. As I got a closer I was still not sure of the color of the body but the tail was definitely red and the last 2 to 3 inches (tip) was as white as snow. The squirrel was going on the other side of a tree but I could have sworn it had a gray body. However, I was so amazed at that large, bushy tail with a white tip that I might not have seen the color of the body that I thought it was.

Also, on the drive over there this morning I saw several gray squirrels running across the roads. It was 0930.
Well, how did the shootin go? Not gonna leave us all hanging are ya Ol buddy?

Good luck Saturday! I’ll be at camp monday and hopefully the deer gods will smile upon me!!
I was responding to emerys post, I thought I had included it here. In case anyone was confused! Good luck all you Pa early muzzleloaders!
All you fellas from Kentucky also. Have it on good authority our Blue Grass brothers (and sisters) have a weekend of burning charcoal and making meat also.

I just got home and gun cleaned and another one ready for tomorrow. It was a long day but fun. I drove out to my honey hole this morning. A lot of activity but those in range just didn’t want to give me a shot. I finally got a shot around 9. Got him. Stayed there and got another shot at 10:45. Missed!

Cleaned the squirrel and went to town to get lunch and check for texts or voicemails as I’m a taxidermist and it’s archery season. Yayy, no calls. I texted my wife that I was staying out.

Tried a new spot for awhile then went back to another place I hadn’t hunted yet this year. This evening was very slow. I only saw a couple. Missed one. Headed home. Tired but happy.

Going out near home for the morning. Have a deer head coming at noon.

Good luck to you PA deer hunters Saturday and next week. I’ll be squirrel hunting as work permits.
IMG_3936.jpeg

I just got home and gun cleaned and another one ready for tomorrow. It was a long day but fun. I drove out to my honey hole this morning. A lot of activity but those in range just didn’t want to give me a shot. I finally got a shot around 9. Got him. Stayed there and got another shot at 10:45. Missed!

Cleaned the squirrel and went to town to get lunch and check for texts or voicemails as I’m a taxidermist and it’s archery season. Yayy, no calls. I texted my wife that I was staying out.

Tried a new spot for awhile then went back to another place I hadn’t hunted yet this year. This evening was very slow. I only saw a couple. Missed one. Headed home. Tired but happy.

Good luck to you PA deer hunters Saturday and next week. I’ll be squirrel hunting as work permits.View attachment 355975
Heck yeah Jim👍 Good day! Think that new 36 is going to give you the cold shoulder for taking the Crockett out more? Ya know how lady's can get.😉 Good luck in the morning.

Good luck to you PA deer hunters Saturday and next week. I’ll be squirrel hunting as work permits.View attachment 355975
Looks like you had good day I hope tomorrow is good as well. It's been a couple of weeks since I've been out but I'm going to give it a try tomorrow .

Looks like you had good day I hope tomorrow is good as well. It's been a couple of weeks since I've been out but I'm going to give it a try tomorrow .
I'd like to go tomorrow. Too much other manure to do. Tomorrow I'm going to shoot the White Mountain Carbine some. That's the one I'm using for early ML next week. Figure since I'll already be dressed for the occasion, might take 2 rifles, deer hunt until late morning, then switch rifles and squirrel hunt. Heck, golfers change clubs all the time, why shouldn't I?😉 Well, unless I shoot a deer.

Sounds like you may have some cross breeding although I'm not sure where the white tip of the tail came from. How did your shooting go with your new eyes?
Well, how did the shootin go? Not gonna leave us all hanging are ya Ol buddy?
The sight in went okay overall. I did not go to a gun range. Due to the location where I went, the sun and tall, wet grass was an initial problem. However, I was able to find another small area off to the side to put up my target.

Everything still a little fuzzy at times so I made a larger 4” square out of duct tape. Even at that I only shot from 32 yards with my .54 GPR. Took more shots than I thought to bring up the elevation but I got it done. I figure 32 yards dead center will serve me well out to perhaps 75 yards or so. It did the last time I shot it with the factory front sight. Wiped the bore between shots with damp Windex patches. Considering I was down to very little GOEX remaining, and I do not plan on buying any more, the last 3 of shots was with Swiss 3F. Spot on with less fowling and less smoke.

I reckon that will do until my eyes are completely adjusted to these new lenses. After that I can shoot for distance.

Mr. Crockett was easy. I had used a machinist scale before and after I switched back to a smaller aperture so everything was on. I did move the target to 25 yards. Shot my usual sub one inch group.

So, I reckon I’m ready to go hunting. Both are loaded now.

I will say this much. Considering I’ve basically been hunting with Mr. Crockett for going on two years now, as well as how many times I’ve shot that thing and all the miles I’ve carried it in thick, steep terrain, my GPR felt as if I was dealing with a Howitzer. Everything seemed so huge. Cleaning patches, .530 RB, shooting patches, large diameter range rod, cleaning jag, and the ML itself. I can shoot my Crockett’s 4 1/2 times for each powder charge in the “Howitzer”. However, I really do like my GPR. I have not hunted with it yet so perhaps this weekend the big man upstairs will look down and smile upon me.

Last edited:

I’m glad you had the chance to get out and get some acation anyway. Congrats.

The sight in went okay overall. I did not go to a gun range. Due to the location where I went, the sun and tall, wet grass was an initial problem. However, I was able to find another small area off to the side to put up my target.

Everything still a little fuzzy at times so I made a larger 4” square out of duct tape. Even at that I only shot from 32 yards with my .54 GPR. Took more shots than I thought to bring up the elevation but I got it done. I figure 32 yards dead center will serve me well out to perhaps 75 yards or so. It did the last time I shot it with the factory front sight. Wiped the bore between shots with damp Windex patches. Considering I was down to very little GOEX remaining, and I do not plan on buying any more, the last 3 of shots was with Swiss 3F. Spot on with less fowling and less smoke.

I reckon that will do until my eyes are completely adjusted to these new lenses. After that I can shoot for distance.

Mr. Crockett was easy. I had used a machinist scale before and after I switched back to a smaller aperture so everything was on. I did move the target to 25 yards. Shot my usual sub one inch group.

I will say this much. Considering I’ve basically been hunting with Mr. Crockett for going on two years now, as well as how many times I’ve shot that thing and all the miles I’ve carried it in thick, steep terrain, my GPR felt as if I was dealing with a Howitzer. Everything seemed so huge. Cleaning patches, .530 RB, shooting patches, large diameter range rod, cleanin jag, and the ML itself. I can shoot my Crockett’s 4 1/2 times for each powder charge in the “Howitzer”. However, I really do like my GPR. I have not hunted with it yet so perhaps this weekend the big man upstairs will look down and smile upon me.
I hope you get your deer with your GPR, our muzzleloader season is a lottery i didn't get drawed. There is so many people with inlines it really cuts down on your chances to get a tag, we need a season something like other states do so the traditional guys have a chance. I'm using my side lock in regular rifle season it's about the only chance you have if you want to hunt traditional. I was going to go squirrel hunting this morning but it's 46 degrees and raining so maybe not , I'll grab my S×S and go after pheasant this afternoon.

I will say this much. Considering I’ve basically been hunting with Mr. Crockett for going on two years now, as well as how many times I’ve shot that thing and all the miles I’ve carried it in thick, steep terrain, my GPR felt as if I was dealing with a Howitzer. Everything seemed so huge. Cleaning patches, .530 RB, shooting patches, large diameter range rod, cleaning jag, and the ML itself. I can shoot my Crockett’s 4 1/2 times for each powder charge in the “Howitzer”. However, I really do like my GPR. I have not hunted with it yet so perhaps this weekend the big man upstairs will look down and smile upon me.
Good deal buddy. 👍 Back in the saddle.

I consider my GPR downright heavy.🤣 But I do like it.

Back