• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Inletting sideplate on Poor Boy/SMR?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosmoline

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been looking around for examples and I've found them both ways--some have the sideplates inletted some don't seem to. That is, in some cases the plates sit loose on the wood and in others they're sunken.

Is there a standard on this one way or the other? Thanks!

Not being a "poor boy" expert I can say I'm not surprised at your findings.

Poor Boys are not noted for their excellent workmanship and fancy features. They are a common, everyday, working rifle who's reason for existence is totally functional.

That said, there are gunsmiths and there are gunsmiths.
Some just do a job and some have pride and want to do their best even though the final product will be plain.

I suspect this explains the various methods of installing a side plate.
One gunsmith will just say, "Hell, I was thinking of leaving it off altogether but I thought it might make the gun last a little longer without the screw eating into the wood there."

Another gunsmith might say, "A good gun will have the sideplate inlet into the wood so it strengthens the stock in its weak area so I always inlet mine."

I've just finished a tennessee with all the iron fixens. I did alot of internet searching of examples and 99 + % are inlet either completely flush with the side or just a smidge proud of it. the darn thing is less than a 1/16th wide to begin with!

Cosmoline,
I think the most likely thing you would see on a "Poorboy" is no sideplate. Just a bolt. Maybe a washer or a piece of metal at the most.
All of the originals I have seen have had the lockplate, washer, piece of metal inlet into the wood. There may be parts of the lockplate standing proud of the wood some but there is still an inlet underneath.
Same with trigger guards that look to be sitting on top of the wood.
Cheers,
Ken

I've seen that too, but isn't that kind of risky as far as distributing stress on the stock? Is there a risk of splitting it?

If you wrench down the lock bolts tight enough to crack the stock, you are going to run into other problems with the lock. The lock bolts aren't supposed to be very tight. Overtightening can cause all sorts of problems. Just try tightening the sear screws on a lock and see what happens.

Cosmoline said:
I've seen that too, but isn't that kind of risky as far as distributing stress on the stock? Is there a risk of splitting it?
Cos: It is a 8-32 screw. All it does is hold the lock in place & just snugs it to the barrel. The lock is supposed to fit up flush to the barrel flat just by putting it in, not by tightening the screw down. If you have to torque the screw to get the lockplate/barrel flat flush, the lock is not inlet properly.

That makes sense. I thought I had read about people getting recoil splitting around the bolt heads, though.

To me that would indicate a sloppy breech fit & no clearance on the lock bolts.

Latest posts

Back