• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Input needed. Loyalist Arms

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking into getting my first flintlock. I’ve stumbled upon the company, Loyalist Arms. Has anyone has any dealings with them? Quality? Any help will be appreciated.
Loyalist Arms are great people and do great work, I have a Sea Musket (75cal) Early Dutch Blunderbuss, and a Light Dragoon Pistol all from them over the years. Also a couple pair of shoes - they never do me wrong.

Now the issues: as pointed out you may have a wait time. Unless buying 'off the shelf' this is the Normal in our field of interest: as my pappy always says "The best things are worth waiting for" and he is a wise man.

Another to consider is that it ships from Canada, depending on where you are that may add time to shipping.

**Now: I have not purchased a firearm from them in a number of years ....Canadian laws have changed DRASTICALLY in the last two years. Not sure if they can even ship a drilled barrel today? **Anyone have first hand knowledge?

Other then that; it is an India made parts gun, but Loyalist goes over Everything and is Very trustworthy. My Sea Musket came un-proofed (yes, I said it) as I agreed since I did not want to wait an additional week(s) and needed it for a show. Loyalist walked me through everything.

However, my Go-To for target and hunting would be my Pedersoli 50cal Pennsylvania; cost around $800 brand new about 10-12 years ago.

But all go BOOM and hit targets and carve pumpkins; the eys on this one was made by the Pedersoli and the Loyalist Arms Sea Musket made the mouth (I have the video showing a small blue belly lizard who witnessed the whole thing from the log the Pumpkin sat on)

Attachments

• Dead Pumpkin3.jpg
    Dead Pumpkin3.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 0
Folk firearms collective
Painting of the vine is real cute
I have no idea how it was done back in the
My wife (Alina) is working on a presentation focusing on her Blue Vine Painted Type G Carolina Trade Gun resembling both a Bumford gun and a Blue Painted gun. Clay Smith is renowned and he will be building my Trade Gun for sure!

Attachments

• 81FF1ED9-2FE5-4AA5-8023-ED53E72796FC.jpeg
    81FF1ED9-2FE5-4AA5-8023-ED53E72796FC.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
I believe it is typical of a Carolina Smooth bore. Blue painted stocks were accepted by natives and the painted vines were a common embellishment. Maybe @Alina_FFC can tell us some more about that gun.
Absolutely! I'm currently about halfway done with a video for the Folk Firearms Collective channel that is strictly about the blue trade gun. I'll post a link when I've completed:)

-Alina

I wonder how it wore. I’m careful with my guns, but still gets scuffs and bangs. I can oil when I get home, but I don’t know how that would look in after a few treks or an event or two under it’s belt
Because it was generally a milk paint, alot of the painted trade guns chipped and wore away over time. Especially with the more excessive use they went through back then. This perhaps contributes to why there are hardly any painted guns in pristine condition in museums today.

I realize that this gun is probably a love it or hate it with some people, but Man thats a neat gun! Folk Firearms Collective has some neat stuff on their channel...
It definitely is--love it or hate it. I'll say multiple people who initially saw my gun did not like it. Once they heard the history and I let them shoot it they had a change of heart. But overall, most do as it does sort of pop. And thanks for supporting our channel!

-Alina

Loyalist truly checks out their Indian guns, and makes sure they work. They also drill the flash hole for you. My pistol from them has been great. If that's where your budget lies, start there and learn.

What is so often overlooked is that the investment in your first muzzleloader is SO MUCH more than just the gun. Powder, lead, powder flask or horn, flints, etc, etc,. If your budget is hard at $800, it may not be a bad way to go.

That said, don't be afraid to search the trading post or Gunbroker and come here to ask questions. There are some deals out there to be had. I paid only $300 for my 2nd rifle, which is hard to find and sought after.
I think I read where Veteran Arms also "works on" guns before making available for purchase. It would be cool to have a statement from each importer of India guns as to the attention given them prior to shipping out the door. If anyone can direct me to such a site to read, I'd like that!

It definitely is--love it or hate it. I'll say multiple people who initially saw my gun did not like it. Once they heard the history and I let them shoot it they had a change of heart. But overall, most do as it does sort of pop. And thanks for supporting our channel!

-Alina
I love the darn things! I'd like to see a bit of a "craze" for them develop. Maybe some articles in the muzzleloading magazines, etc., with history, how-to's, etc. I wouldn't mind having one myself!:)

There is another thread for this.
Quit trolling this one.

OP asked a direct question:

Looking into getting my first flintlock. I’ve stumbled upon the company, Loyalist Arms. Has anyone has any dealings with them? Quality? Any help will be appreciated.

I think it's critical that new people understand when they are buying something not manufactured to be a firearm, so I'll keep answering when the question is asked. I apologize if you don't like my responses or feel they are "trolling".

Loyalist Arms builds to many groups, the build for Reenactors and to the movie business. I recall a conversation I had with the owner years ago as he expressed his anger over a shipment of rentals for a commercial shoot came back; they expect a certain amount of wear and tear upon return and that is factored into the rental fee but that time he had too many come back so damaged they were not even repairable (said some of the barrels bent almost 90 degrees). Customers pay for such damage and it states so in the contract - but if you have ever felt with 'movie studio' folk...

Now Loyalist Arms also has Rubber/Plastic replicas as well as wall hangers and live shooters.
Loyalist does their own work and inspects and works each piece for it's intended use to the customer.

I saw a write up somewhere on Veteran Arms, said they work each piece too, don't know if the cater to other groups or only build for live shooters, I have not done any business with them but would have if I knew about them back when I was buying...if for nothing else because they are 'local' (in the same country as I am)

Latest posts

Back