• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Installing/Inletting a Buttplate

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabretech

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I live in a one bedroom apartment in NYC (gasp!).

Yes, there are gun people here in the City.
No, it's not easy.

To my question: I've been messing around with my Renegade, trying to make it fit better. I put on one of those Limbsaver pads to add some length. It's simply a matter of time before I get one of those precarved stocks from Pecatonica or TOTW. What has stopped me is inletting the buttplate.
I don't have a bandsaw or access to one. I do have a jigsaw, Dremel, and a good set of X-Acto knives.

How do I lay it out? The buttplate is curved, as is the stock. The plan is to end up with a rifle the first time. Having to buy a second stock because I turned the first one into kindling is to be avoided.

I'm using iron/steel furniture. None of that shiny brass for me.

You live in a one bedroom apt. in NYC? and You are considering building rifles? Well I live in Middletown, and I started building rifles in a studio apt.Where there's a will, there's a way. I stepped up to a 2 bedrm.now and I'm still crampted for space.Back to the issue... First mark out the outline of the butt plate making sure you have the top of the heel extension of the butt plate parrellel with the top of the comb..laying it on the side of the stock mark the profile of the inside of the butt plate on the stock. Then cut it as best you can with your jig saw. I use a Bosch with a long blade some times its best to put in relief cuts to ease the blade along this cut. After that's done Put a piece of masking tape on the top of the comb and put a centerline on it. THen prep your butt plate tru up and square up your butt plate file it flat across the edges. Then scribe a centerline on your butt plate on the heel extension and at the toe. Next you need transfer color to show you where to remove wood. Apply ytour transfer color to your buttplate ..hold it it place making sure you have ALL your centerlines lined up then lightly tap on you butt plate at the point of the heel. You can use a hammer ( BUT DON'T HIT IT HARD) the back of the chiselyou'll be using to remove the wood is also good. And start to remove the transfered color from the stock.Some people use files for this and maybe some others can expand on this process .
............George F.

Thanks for the answer...I've also taken a gander at the pictures from the other thread that's currently going on about building a rifle. I think I've got the idea now.

Although it is my own slow process, this link will give you one method of installing a buttplate.
INSTALLING A BUTTPLATE

To help give a starting place I cut a pattern out of heavy paper until it fits the metal buttplate contour. Then I measure the distance from the front trigger back to where the buttplate will be to establish the length of "pull" to fit me.
Laying the paper pattern on the wood I lightly trace it.
It won't be exact because the paper is curved when it's laying on the stock but it is close enough for a starting place. When doing this marking, error on the side of having a little extra wood.

If there is much wood to remove to get down close to the marked line, use a saw, rasp or whatever you have to whack off the excess wood.
As you approach the marked line, use less violent methods.

Sense you have a Dremel, you might want to buy one of the little 1/2 inch dia drum sanders and a lot of the course grit drums for it to remove the extra wood.

Good Luck to you :)

Sabertooth and Gearge F., I thought I was the only one that started building rifles up there! I had a studio in Long Beach and started my first rifle there. Not the best work shop out there. Now I've got a house with a shop in the garage. Real workbench and much better tools. I'll leave the advice to the real builders.

Back