• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Introducing the Kibler Colonial .58 caliber smoothbore MAXIMUM BLING

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if it'll stay this way. Probably after the first range trip I'll tear the whole thing apart and Jax Black it. But for now, the goal was to make all the unadorned parts (ie no fancy carving or engraving) just to look as good as they possibly could with maximum polish and shine, or as I would say: MAXIMUM BLING:

View attachment 328595View attachment 328596View attachment 328597View attachment 328598View attachment 328599View attachment 328600
View attachment 328601Excellent work
Excellent work !

Everyone wants that old patina look. Were i from a time long ago and just spent months or a yearā€™s earnings it would stay clean and maybe polished.

FIRST RANGE TRIP

Does she shoot? You betcha!! She sure does shoot!!

80 gr. 2F Swiss .570 ball patched with .010 patch (very tight - mallet start required) three shots standing offhand at 25 yds:

range-1.png

Subsequently reduced to 70 gr load, bare ball on top of powder and wadded on top (much easier loading) and great results:

range-2.png

Moved to 50 yds shooting seated with forearm support and first got a couple hits left of center, so tapped the rear sight a bit to the right, and a couple more shots to confirm windage:

range-3.png

I took a couple shots at the 100-yd gongs, but with no spotter and all that smoke, couldn't tell how I did. I think I nicked one and left it swinging a bit. But I didn't have paper out there to mark my hits. All the same ... it's a smoothbore after all. I could have hit a deer-sized animal or an enemy torso at that range.

Also experimented with wads - pre-formed and dip prelubed, or just paper crumpled and spit-lubed:

range-4.png

Didn't seem to make much difference in either performance or bore-fouling. Pre-lubed is a bit messy (and more effort to fabricate). Wadded paper works fine. Wishing I hadn't disposed of that paper wasp nest I knocked down from the eaves a couple or three years ago.

Results of first range trip:

Very impressed with smoothbore shooting performance. Looks like 70 gr. is the "standard load" and loading paper wad above 0.570 bare ball over powder is best for overall results.

Multiple positive comments from other shooters and good shooting results made this an extremely pleasing and positive range trip.

I'm very happy with my Kibler Colonial .58 cal smoothbore. This gun is a great shooter and one heck of a lot of fun!! šŸ˜

Last edited:
FIRST RANGE TRIP

Does she shoot? You betcha!! She sure does shoot!!

80 gr. 2F Swiss .570 ball patched with .010 patch (very tight - mallet start required) three shots standing offhand at 25 yds:

View attachment 329059

Subsequently reduced to 70 gr load, bare ball on top of powder and wadded on top (much easier loading) and great results:

View attachment 329060

Moved to 50 yds shooting seated with forearm support and first got a couple hits left of center, so tapped the rear sight a bit to the right, and a couple more shots to confirm windage:

View attachment 329061

I took a couple shots at the 100-yd gongs, but with no spotter and all that smoke, couldn't tell how I did. I think I nicked one and left it swinging a bit. But I didn't have paper out there to mark my hits. All the same ... it's a smoothbore after all. I could have hit a deer-sized prey animal or an enemy torso at that range.

Also experimented with wads - pre-formed and dip prelubed, or just paper crumpled and spit-lubed:

View attachment 329062

Didn't seem to make much difference in either performance or bore-fouling. Pre-lubed is a bit messy (and more effort to fabricate). Wadded paper works fine. Wishing I hadn't disposed of that paper wasp nest I knocked down from the eaves a couple or three years ago.

Results of first range trip:

Very impressed with smoothbore shooting performance. Looks like 70 gr. is the "standard load" and loading paper wad above 0.570 bare ball over powder is best for overall results.

Multiple positive comments from other shooters and good shooting results made this an extremely pleasing and positive range trip.

I'm very happy with my Kibler Colonial .58 cal smoothbore. This gun is a great shooter and one heck of a lot of fun!! šŸ˜
Great shots! Was bare ball the most accurate?

Back