• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Investarms rate of twist

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonpce

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I purchased a used .54 Investarms rifle in the early fall and was never satisfied with the accuracy using Buffalo bullets. I deer hunted with a different gun. How can I find out what rate of twist the gun has? There aren't any markings on the gun to give an indication of this.

It should be a 1:48 Twist. I'd start with a .530 patched round ball over 70 grains of Goex 3F. If you can't get Goex 3F, then I'd try 80 grains of Pyrodex RS.

i think that Mark is right. the faster rate of twist is to stabilise conicals, and it sometimes takes some tinkering to do this. (try the Dutch Shoultz system- it's money well spent)

a faster rate of twist (such as 1 in 48) will also group round ball well.

if the exact number is what you're going for, you can do one of two things (or both): get in touch with Investarms (most manufacturers will download the manual on their website, or put a jag with an oiled patch on your ramrod and run it down the bore, make a small mark on the rod just opposite the front site and gently withdraw the ramrod 24 inches, and see how much turn there is (if it's a 1:48, you'll have made a half a revolution). do this several times. the second method isn't quite as accurate as the data from the manufacturer (in my experience, anyway) but it will put you in the right ballpark.

since you're shooting conicals, i assume that you're hoping to do Bambi a mischief with them, but if they won't group to your satisfaction, don't worry; a .54 is more than enough with a patched roundball to put meat in your 'fridge.

good luck- make smoke!

Slip a TC 240gr Cheapshot in it.My Tradition Hawken loves them 1-48. Two shots two deer. Coldcocked the first one. Second one I killed after I hit a small tree, I could just reach around it with my trigger finger and thumb.Used 80grs 2ff. First deer with a conical in 25yrs, kind of liked it. Old saying, learn something new everyday . Dilly

Could be any number of ROT"s depending on what model it is.
Investarms made a bunch of different rifles/barrels over the years.
Easiest method for determining your ROT would be to send a snug, Lubed, but not tight! patch over a jag down your barrel . Then put a pencil mark on your ramrod and slowly pull out the rod allowing the barrel's rifling to turn the ramrod.
Measure how many times your ramrod goes around (if at all with a slow ROT)
Then measure your barrel's length and do the math.

A very general example would be a 32 inch barrel and the rod does a complete revolution. That would tell me it's a 1:32 ROT.

Get the idea? :haha:

Post a pic, Someone here can probably ID it. :wink:

To figure the rate of twist is simple. Attach a jag to a long ram rod. You might have to tape two together. With a tight cleaning patch insert the cleaning rod down to the breech plug. Mark or index the rod. In the past I have lined the mark up with the front sight. Now pull the rod out of the barrel until the mark lines up with the sight again. Measure that distance and you have your rate of twist.

With guns that have a slower ROT, you won't get a full turn with your mark on the rod. Ex: a 1:48 ROT, common in both .45 and .50 caliber barrels, is used in lots of barrels that are only 28-32 inches long.

Tape the rod, at the muzzle, after inserting it down to the breech, with a cleaning jag or brush, and an oiled patch. Put the tab of the tape in line with the front sight, as a index indicator.

Now, pull back slowly on the rod,turning it counter clockwise with your fingers, so that the patch stays in the grooves. You may get 1/4 or 1/3 or 1/2 turn in the barrel, depending on its length. You will have to eye-ball where that tab winds up. Redo this measurement several times to learn how delicate a touch you need to get an accurate reading.

Most people, doing this the first time, hold the rod too hard, and get all kinds of short measurements! I always suggest that you try this first on a barrel where you know the ROT already. When you have perfected the technique, Then use it on an unknown barrel.

The math is fairly simple. If you get only 1/4 turn, multiply the length of the rod, from the muzzle to your tape, by "4" to get the actual full ROT. If you have 1/3 turn, multiply that measured length of your rod by "3". If you have a 1/2 turn, multiply by "2". :thumbsup:

gonpce said:
I purchased a used .54 Investarms rifle in the early fall and was never satisfied with the accuracy using Buffalo bullets. I deer hunted with a different gun. How can I find out what rate of twist the gun has? There aren't any markings on the gun to give an indication of this.

You can ask for the manual here
http://www.investarm.it/eng-manuali.html

Tb

Back