• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Iowa Early Muzzleloader Season ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I last hunted the early season in 93. The farm I hunted was mostly flooded and the temp was in the 80s. Watched three deer across a corn field for over two hours, that never moved twenty yards. The heat and bugs about drove me crazy. Since then I hunt late season. No bugs out when it is hovering around zero, and the deer are moving. Leon

It's definitely at a time when you would want to have a pretty firm grip on patterns to be effective. I have had good luck with early muzzleloader season in Pennsylvania, but it took some stout intel on where the deer wanted to be.

Living and deer huniting in Iowa for the last 40+ years, I have taken a zillion bucks with bow and gun. Flintlock,percussion, and shotgun. The average buck here will field dress @ 150lbs . 185lb field dress buck is big and fairly common. 200+lb are giants and the largest I have seen dead was 258 lbs field dressed. That one was beyond huge! Just guessing by the picture I would guess your buck in the 180lb class. Very nice buck and congrats on a nice harvest! Greg :)
Thank you! That’s good info and thanks for that insight. I had no clue what that buck weighed, I just knew that it sucked
pulling him

Six-Gun nice deer.

I have narrowed down where I will be hunting this fall. Need to get out and make a nice ground blind.
It has been very wet lately could delay fall harvest which will hurt the hunting as some of the deer just stay in corn fields.

Back